veil angel death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iheartmyed9

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had my veil angel under my coral dead this morning. All other fish except my other platinum angel are doing well. 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 or right at it on nitrate. I have a planted tank and I haven't been using my aquarium plant food because I've been worried it might hurt my fish. I dosed some aquarium plant food but I believe he had long perished before I put it in there cause I placed it in there a hour ago. Please help.

My other angel is acting sick now. I don't understand it. My blue ram is just fine. If it was water or parasites wouldnt the ram feel it first?

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

You've answered a couple, but there's a lot more you'll need to let us know about first.

Describe what you mean by "acting sick". Most of the angels i have lost were from an ailment that has no symptoms other than the fish not eating and hanging in a corner.

He's hanging near the bottom of the tank and his upper and lower fins are not stretched out like usaul. My other angel died this morning. I do 50% pwc every Sunday and I vacuum the sand. Its a 55 gallon tall tank with a German blue ram, a platinum angel, 3 black neon tetras, 6 blue neon tetras, 2 Dalmatian mollies , Chinese algae eater, 4 ghost shrimp, bamboo shrimp and 6 glofish. I feed topfin tropical flake food once a day. My filter is a tetra 30-60 HOB. Tempature stays around 78-80. Oh and 2 honey dwarf guarami and 2 gold claw fiddler crabs

I added play sand recently. Around 3 days ago. I've had the other angel around 20 days and the platinum around 15.

I've noticed upon closer inspection that my angel has a small red bump on his nose. I took a pic its somewhat visible since she's so silver.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111114_193553.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111114_193553.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 88
  • ForumRunner_20111114_193633.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111114_193633.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 82
Did you qt either angel before adding them to your tank? Qt a new fish for atleast 3-4wks is the absolute minimum i would suggest to rule out health & disease issues before introducing them to your main tank. Did you wash the play sand before using it with dechlorinated water? Have you rechecked your water parameters since introducing it? What are the readings now for amm/nitrite/nitrate/ph?

The readings I gave u are the results from today 0,0,0.25 and 8 on the Ph. I have no quarantine tank at the moment. Yes I washed the play sand thoroughly before I put it in the tank. I had washed it well enough for it to all settle within minutes. I am aware of the quarantine method as described on this site as well as other methods for fish care. Just curious as to what could be wrong with my angel.

Did you wash the play sand with dechlorinated water (water that water condit added)? If you didnt, you just added a large amount of water that has not been detoxified/dechlorinated to your tank & it may be the cause of your fish's death. I would suggest doing a pwc (if you havent already) with a good dose of water conditioner & to keep an eye on your remaining angel-if he has more problems, please let us know!

I added the play sand Saturday. Did a pwc Sunday and noticed the angels symptoms yesterday. All other fish are fine. The angel passed this morning I think since I can't find her. :(

jlk said:
Did you wash the play sand with dechlorinated water (water that water condit added)? If you didnt, you just added a large amount of water that has not been detoxified/dechlorinated to your tank & it may be the cause of your fish's death. I would suggest doing a pwc (if you havent already) with a good dose of water conditioner & to keep an eye on your remaining angel-if he has more problems, please let us know!

Doing a 50% pwc

Back
Top Bottom