Velvet???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra123

Aquarium Advice Regular
I shinned a flashlight on one of my cories an saw gold patches around his gills, is it velvet.

I also caught him scraping himself against my sand.

I also think my fish may have velvet. Any thoughts. This fish looks like it has been rolled in a fine gold dust. My others (guppy) are starting to look like gold dusted on their
Bodies and a little bit shiny under their mouths. Any thoughts would be great you guys!

Attachments

• image-1187174859.jpg
    image-1187174859.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 55
  • image-2782133483.jpg
    image-2782133483.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 51
It is really hard to see on that fish, but I would recommend putting these effected fish into a quarantine tank. I would follow up with a fungal or ich treatment to be safe. If this doesn't work then I would advise using a velvet remedy.

Velvet

I shinned a flashlight on one of my cories an saw gold patches around his gills, is it velvet.

I also caught him scraping himself against my sand.

Hello Tet...

The book on "Livebearers" says the "velvet" parasites are very small and do show up as a fine gold-dust on the skin. The first area to show the dust is the gills. Apparently, the parasite uses light as an energy source, so you need to turn off the tank lights and those in the room too.

If you have chemical filtration (carbon), remove it and start an aggressive water change routine, by changing out half the tank water every few days. Vacuuming the gravel where possible is also recommended.

Most fish pathogens don't tolerate aquarium salt, so if it was my tank, I'd add a teaspoon of it to every 5 gallons of the new water when you did the water change.

Also, increasing the temperature a little will help, no more than 82 degrees should be sufficient.

The combination of warmer tank water, a little salt and flushing a lot of pure treated water through your tank every few days for a couple of weeks should help.

I'm a water change fanatic and change out half the water in my tanks every week. This will guarantee chemical stability and that's the most important thing for a healthy aquarium.

Just a couple of thoughts to consider or not.

B

@Tetra123 Some cories have that coloring naturally. Have you continued to notice it rubbing itself on the items in the tank?

@Page that does sound like velvet. You'll usually notice it starts around the gill area. Add 1 tablespoon salt per 5 gals, raise the temp about 6 degrees, and keep the lights off.

Yes. I've been dealing with velvet for over a month. Quarantine if you can and medicate as instructed. Do at least a50 % water change. Medicate once but remove any mystery snails you may have. Cover the tank to block out ALL LIGHT POSSIBLE for two weeks. Raise the temp to about 80 and wait. If this fails a break down of your tank will be necessary. But, I'd wait and do this first.
Namaste,
Gypsy

Back
Top Bottom