Verification of Gender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derail

Aquarium Advice Freak
Attached to this particular discussion (as most peeps seem to do, go figure, ya?) is a picture of Solnushka, a Molly of mine, and I would like to get some affirmation that she is indeed a female, otherwise I'll need to change name and probably buy some more molly's since that will put my male to female ratio 2-1 in favor of males and I just can't have that lol. Oh, and the reason I'm wanting to double check she's female is whenever she retracts her anal fin, it has the same appearance as the gonopodium of my silver short-fin, Loki.

On a lighter note, the other female molly, not pictured there, has lately been reclusive, hiding in caves and some of the rockwork I have in the tank. She's still got an appetite and when I can coax her out of that spot she happily swims around and eats. Her belly is getting bigger and sort of square-like in appearance, so is this just a habit of pregnant Molly's?

(sorry if picture doesn't upload properly, first time uploading to this site :p)

Attachments

• Solnushka.jpg
    Solnushka.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 75
I concur. Girly, feminine, female lady. :)

IME, gravid females still siwm around like normal right up until the point when they are about to drop the fry. I have had some females that just kept swimming, and some that slowed down the drop the fry on the bottom of the tank. What are your water parameters? It could very well be that she is preparing to drop fry, but double check the water params to be sure. :)

Ph is 7.6, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10ish, Ammonia 0, Fairly hard water (about 200 gh), Alkalinity is about 150 kh. I did recently lose a guppy to dropsy, and gosh I hope that she's not getting it too. OH, guess I should talk about size and temp -_-. 30 gallon tank, temp constant at 76. I do use aquarium salt (not marine) with the recommended 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons, but I don't have anything to test the actual salinity but I haven't gone full brackish or anything. My CAE is just ecstatic in this tank lol.

Posting a picture of the molly, Elaine, that has been rather reclusive lately. Also will post a few of other fish. Elaine is inside the plastic reef cave.

Attachments

• Elaine.jpg
    Elaine.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Loki and Solnushka.jpg
    Loki and Solnushka.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 75
Your parameters are all in check, and all the fish look really good. IME, mollies who aren't happy are really quick to retract their fins, but every one of yours has it fins fully out so I think they look good. It may indeed be that Elaine is going to drop fry soon, or she could just be shy. Just keep an eye on everybody. Good luck. :)
A note, IME CAE turn really nasty. I have even had them attack female guppies who were trying to drop fry. CAE get big and very territorial. Keep an eye on it to make sure your mollies are safe. :)

A note, IME CAE turn really nasty. I have even had them attack female guppies who were trying to drop fry. CAE get big and very territorial. Keep an eye on it to make sure your mollies are safe. :)[/QUOTE]

--Don't worry, I understand this completely; it's just that the little guys are excellent cleaners when they're young. I have a home for him when he grows up and gets aggressive though. lol

A note, IME CAE turn really nasty. I have even had them attack female guppies who were trying to drop fry. CAE get big and very territorial. Keep an eye on it to make sure your mollies are safe. :)

--Don't worry, I understand this completely; it's just that the little guys are excellent cleaners when they're young. I have a home for him when he grows up and gets aggressive though. lol[/QUOTE]
Thats cool. Just making sure. I think they are little cuties, especially the golden ones. Otos are a good alternative after he gets re-homed, if he needs to be. :)

Back
Top Bottom