Very First Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFragile

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I have been browsing the guides to starting a freshwater aquarium and I am starting to get nervous.

As I am sure is the case with many others, I was poorly informed about cycling by many different people, pet stores, tank owners, etc. Even my own research did not do me well here. I purchased a small 6.5 gallon tank for my son, treated the water with dechlorinator, and ran the set up tank for 24 hours (the shame...) before adding fish.

There are 2 glofish in the tank (my son has named them Collin and Neighbors), they have been in there since Friday night. As for now, they seem to be OK but I am obviously worried about them since reading through a few of the threads on this site. I have already done a partial water change, and intend to do as many as needed.

I guess what I need to know is what the best products to use may be to help ensure my fish stay healthy during the cycling process. Besides water testing and water changes, is there anything else that I can do to make sure they survive and do not suffer?

Please do not judge. I did a lot of reading prior to putting fish into my tank, I guess I just did not come across the right information. :(

Test results

After doing a 25% water change this morning, I waited a few hours to test. Happy to report results of only 0.25ppm ammonia. I feel a little better. I will test again in the morning to see how quickly they rise.

I'd recommend you use prime as a water conditioner it works very well and many people on this forums recommend it.

Adding some live plants will help to remove ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. Hornwort removes excess nutrients quickly, and doesn't require special care.

Just keep up the water changes and you'll be fine!

Fishobsessed7

Thanks everyone! I have already read through those articles. I was just looking for anything extra that I could do to help the process. I have some Prime that I will be using with my next water change.

Also, since I am trying to establish the good bacteria, how often should the filter media / cartridge be changed? I have a Tetra Whisper 10i filter.

Thanks everyone! I have already read through those articles. I was just looking for anything extra that I could do to help the process. I have some Prime that I will be using with my next water change.

Also, since I am trying to establish the good bacteria, how often should the filter media / cartridge be changed? I have a Tetra Whisper 10i filter.

You don't need to change the media for awhile.

Fishobsessed7

Don't change the cartridge until it is falling apart. When you see it is starting to come apart but a new one in with the old for at least 3 weeks to establish the new cartridge with your cycle.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Checked the tank again just now. Ammonia is still below 0.25ppm. Phew.

Back
Top Bottom