Very foggy tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. You gotta read up on fish in cycle. The ammonia (waste from Fish And food will cycle the tank) but the ammonia level can not got over .50 idea is to keep that level at .25 in order to not kill your fish from ammonia poison. The ammonia will convert to your nitrite( note: nitrite can not get too high either, it is also toxic to fish if it is too high. You never want it dark purple) nitrite will convert to your nitrate. When you get your nitrate reading, the cycle will be complete only when the nitrite and ammonia levels are at zero. But, when you get nitrate and your nitrite is at zero and if you still have ammonia just do a water change to zero that out. No big water changes 50-60% at all times you'll stress your fish out. If you have to do 2 Or 4 water changes back to back , it's better than doing a massive water change at once. I'm worried about your ph level too. Has it always been that low? Could be why your betta is always on the bottom. Test your tap water on ph. What deco do you have in the tank? Rocks, driftwood??? Cycling a tank is work. Specially with fish. Test in morning, test at night. Never miss your water changes, never over feed. Vacuum the bottom for waste build up. Always be careful to not stress fish out. Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask no matter what it is. Everyone on here is happy to help. If you can get good bacteria from anywhere it would help a lot. An old filter cartridge, media, gravel, anything from a cycled tank. So if you know somebody with a tank ask them for some.

Just two bloodworms very second day for all betta, I have rocks and soft betta plants[not real] my ammonia is 0 right now so I guess that’s good and when I do water changes I just won’t put any chemicals in like tap water conditioner

Just two bloodworms very second day for all betta, I have rocks and soft betta plants[not real] my ammonia is 0 right now so I guess that’s good and when I do water changes I just won’t put any chemicals in like tap water conditioner
Oh, no, no... You need conditioner. I use seachem prime every water change. You're gonna want a get some. Are you ready? You got fish back in yet? Just remember the more the poop, the more the food= waste( ammonia) how many fish you got?

Oh, no, no... You need conditioner. I use seachem prime every water change. You're gonna want a get some. Are you ready? You got fish back in yet? Just remember the more the poop, the more the food= waste( ammonia) how many fish you got?

Two in each tank. That’s all. So very little.

Some short some long. I only have 2 10gal with dividers in them and one 3gal for one other betta. I have 2 short tails and the rest is kinda longish
Do you have a filter on the 3 gallon? If you have a filter cartridge or sponge you can squeeze the sponge or dunk the cartridge behind the cartridge on the 10gallons.

Do you have a filter on the 3 gallon? If you have a filter cartridge or sponge you can squeeze the sponge or dunk the cartridge behind the cartridge on the 10gallons.

I’m trying to find a filter for the 3gal

Hi. Yesterday I did a full clean of my 10gal tank with just hot water and vinegar and let the water set a few mins before putting it back in. My mom put the betta tap water conditioner but it’s super foggy still. It’s the same with one of my other tanks. Even clear fast doesn’t really work. :( does anyone know how to get rid of it?
I’m trying to find a filter for the 3gal
I suggest a sponge filter or something that needs an air pump to run. There are small filters available that go inside the tank with their tops just above the water that work like power filters. They stick to the inside of the tank with suction cups...tried 2 different brands before and killed my betta both times. They were able to squeeze behind the filters and get stuck. Since they couldn't get to the water surface for an air bubble, they drowned. Something like a sponge in the tank would not trap them.

I have a whisper on my 3g. It has a adjustable flow switch on the back side. I like it. It takes up a little room but it works really good. 20180331_112739.jpg

I have a whisper on my 3g. It has a adjustable flow switch on the back side. I like it. It takes up a little room but it works really good. View attachment 308113
Neither of the 2 that I have are Whisper brand, but they are the same types as you just showed me in your pic. I can't see the back of your filter. Both of mine had just enough room between them and the tank for my bettas to squeeze behind, get stuck, and drowned. As long as a betta can't get behind your Whisper, it should be fine.

Sponge or box filters work well in tiny tanks, plus they can't get stuck with them.

Neither of the 2 that I have are Whisper brand, but they are the same types as you just showed me in your pic. I can't see the back of your filter. Both of mine had just enough room between them and the tank for my bettas to squeeze behind, get stuck, and drowned. As long as a betta can't get behind your Whisper, it should be fine.
I was disgusted after drowning 2 bettas with those types of filters that I bought a hob filter. I happened to have a 10 gallon tank though. As I posted before, tried 2 of the exact types that you have, but neither of mine were Whisper brand. Look at the back of yours. If you can so much as get the tip of your little finger behind it, you my want to stuff some filter floss in the gaps or try another type of filter...don't want to drown the betta.

When cycling, you must stay on top of water changes and feeding. I hope your tank cycles well!

I almost didn't use mine cause of the flow. Thought my little dude would be sucked up. But I looked it over and seen it had an adjustment for the flow. So lowest setting and my fish is very happy. He swims under it, behind it, and in front no problem. I've had this set up for a while now.

I only use HOB and stuff the outflow with sponges to slow it down for the bettas. Do sponge filters do the same job as a HOB?

I only use HOB and stuff the outflow with sponges to slow it down for the bettas. Do sponge filters do the same job as a HOB?
They work great actually. They have a lot of surface area for beneficial bacteria and the rising bubbles move the water slowly but completely around the tank. Cleaning of them is not difficult either. You just put it in a clean container when it gets loaded with waste (usually weekly) and make sure the cleaning water is de-chlorinated. Just squish the foam a few times to remove the dirt. A good amount of beneficial bacteria will remain in the sponge and then you just replace it. The drawback is that sponge filters take up a little room inside the tank.

Back
Top Bottom