VHO lighting heats up water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NickRummy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just like all my other threads...... Starting up my 65g with (4) 24" VHO lights. When the lights are off the tank is staying at stable 77 degrees. I started doing the light cycle to make sure the water temp would still be the same. Well it actually climbs quite a bit! During the day it's hitting 80-81. Heaters are off. Is this normal?! I was reading that people's water temps usually stay within one degree throughout the day?

Anything I can do? It does have a canopy and the back of the canopy is open. Wonder if I just need some circulation? The tank has NOTHING in it yet. Just mixed water being heated up awaiting live rock and sand.

Should I be shooting for 77-78 degrees as constantly as I can? What's the sweet spot?

Going from 77 to 80/81 is not that big of a change and I wouldn't really worry about it. If you can, mount a small fan in the back of the canopy to move the air around. That should help move out the heat generated by the lights.

I thought 80-81 was pretty hot? What's a max temp you would be comfortable with? What temp do you shoot for?

Mine goes from 78 in the morning to 80 in the evening. As Larry said it`s not that much.

Ok thanks everyone! Just being overly cautious I guess. I have it closer now. This morning after cooling through the night it's at 78. Going to keep an eye on it today and make sure it doesn't go over 80.

I keep my tank at 79 (mercury -- 81 digital). It used to vary by 2 degrees even with a fan blowing across the top when I had MH lighting.

Back
Top Bottom