Vibrations from jack-hammering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Da Squid

Aquarium Advice Freak
I searched this site for "Jack hammering " and didn't get any hits. Go figure :).
My 75g tank is in the basement where I've been having some flooding issues. The best solution seems to be installing an internal french drain (so long, tax refund!). This will involve jack hammering through the concrete to dig a trench in the floor. Any opinions or horror stories about possible tremors rupturing my tank?

The tank is in a separate room from the hammering, but only about four or 5 feet away from where the cutting will take place. It's a newer tank, with tempered glass and all that. The project is estimated to take a day, perhaps partially draining the tank would help?

I'd be more concerned about the flying mortar/concrete dust. Maybe some kinda tight mesh fabric cover for those hours it'll take to hammer and the dust to settle.

fortunately the floor work will take place in a small room that is completely walled off from my fish tank room, so no chances of shrapnel. There will be horrendous dust, so i'll be unplugging pretty much everything and covering the tank in several layers of sheets and blankets. Its a high tech heavily planted tank, but most of the plants lean towards the hardy end.

I hadn't considered other tools. I'm still getting bids from contractors so I'll bring that up to the next one. Thanks!

I've run both, and in an open area on a good day the hammer was horrendous on reinforced concrete. In an small enclosed room, it may be intolerable.

Good luck!

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

I think there was a thread a while ago regarding some workmen using a jack hammer in a street and it caused a crack in his tank,I too would get them to use a diamond saw with water to keep the dust down and a tidier/quicker job.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom