Victim of irene

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarrett

Aquarium Advice Freak
So irene has knocked my power out here on long island and doesn't look like it will be fixed until friday. Luckily i do have a generator and i have been able to keep the fish tank running for most of the day but at night the generator just gets to hot and has to be shut down.The tank has been without power from 11:00 pm until 7:00 am and still so far i have no losses. I am curious if what i am doing is all i can do to help my fish survive the week. I keep the Lid open and basically wake up every 3 hours to stir the fish tank (i know it really sucks) do i have to be doing this? or is keeping the Lid open working as far as providing oxygen.

their are corals in the tank as well and they seem to be doing ok to

Jarrett said:
So irene has knocked my power out here on long island and doesn't look like it will be fixed until friday. Luckily i do have a generator and i have been able to keep the fish tank running for most of the day but at night the generator just gets to hot and has to be shut down.The tank has been without power from 11:00 pm until 7:00 am and still so far i have no losses. I am curious if what i am doing is all i can do to help my fish survive the week. I keep the Lid open and basically wake up every 3 hours to stir the fish tank (i know it really sucks) do i have to be doing this? or is keeping the Lid open working as far as providing oxygen.

Battery back up air pump would help. They have them at bait and tackle shops and some pet stores.

ok out of curiosity how are my fish even surviving through the night? isnt the only way they get oxgyen is by me stirring the fish tank. but how are they surviving through the night when im only stirring it like every 3 or 4 hours

All the oxygen isn't depleted just because you don't have exchange. The fish could go days with the exchange. But you stirring does help.

I too just went through Irene. I had five fish including my 3 tangs that were dead after 12 hours of no electricity. I too believed from others that fish could go days but I quickly found out that was not true. You only have hours as I found out to my regret. Do something to keep the surface aggitated.

yes very sorry to hear about that melosu58 luckily for me i had a generator i guess so with that and waking up every 3 hours to stir the surface my fish have made it 3 days through it and now my power is back up i am very happy to get through it without losing any of my little guys. you never know what mother nature is going to throw your way i guess

I dont know if it was their age that led to their demise. The temp was 78 the whole time. Their ages were 13 (yellow tang), 10 (yellow eyed kole tang) and 8 (Scopas tang). I believe tangs need plenty of aeration though. I also lost a 13 yr old damsel and a sixline. I have a generator on the way so next time I`ll start it up right away. You only as I said earlier have hours.

I dont know if it was their age that led to their demise. The temp was 78 the whole time. Their ages were 13 (yellow tang), 10 (yellow eyed kole tang) and 8 (Scopas tang). I believe tangs need plenty of aeration though. I also lost a 13 yr old damsel and a sixline. I have a generator on the way so next time I`ll start it up right away. You only as I said earlier have hours.

Man, I feel for you. What a bummer.

BTW their pics. I hope all works out Jarrett.

029.jpg

Oh my, I am so sorry. I got very attached to my fish and they past after 3 yrs... cant imagine how it must feel like after 10 yrs. That is so sad :(

Back
Top Bottom