Volitans lionfish housing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lionfish55

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 3 inch lionfish in a 20gallon tank. I know they grow quick so must act soon. Any ideas on proper housing for my buddy!

I've heard of 55 and no less. Preferably 75 and up .

If it's a true volitan, you're going to need more than that..... those easily get 12" to 15" and need lots of room. A 6' tank in the 125 to 150 gallon range would be an absolute minimum.

You figure if it does hit 15", a 72" tank is still less than 5 times his body length, and their "wingspan" can reach as wide as their length. A 125/150 is roughly 18" front to back, so when it's spread out, it has just enough room to swim a few feet, turn around & swim a few feet back down the center of the tank.

IMO, this is one of those fish that should come with a disclaimer.... "This thing gets freakin' huge"

EDIT: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+36+279&pcatid=279

Phranque said:
If it's a true volitan, you're going to need more than that..... those easily get 12" to 15" and need lots of room. A 6' tank in the 125 to 150 gallon range would be an absolute minimum.

You figure if it does hit 15", a 72" tank is still less than 5 times his body length, and their "wingspan" can reach as wide as their length. A 125/150 is roughly 18" front to back, so when it's spread out, it has just enough room to swim a few feet, turn around & swim a few feet back down the center of the tank.

IMO, this is one of those fish that should come with a disclaimer.... "This thing gets freakin' huge"

EDIT: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+36+279&pcatid=279

Hey my 120 gallon is 5 feet long and 20 inches wide and 28 inches deep

GREAT!!!! I love predator fish. Going to convert my 120gallon to saltwater to house my prized posession volitans lionfish. The tank is 5ft long 20inches long and 30inches deep. Will 70 or 80pds of liverock with a 3inch bed of livesand be good with a xp4 canister and a good protien skimmer. Can I house my lion, a clown trigger, and one or two more predator fish in this?

From what I read, I think as long as the predatory fish have enough room that they won't fight and are of close enough size that they won't eat each other, yes. It should be fine for around 5 preds

That is always a possibility.... I've heard & read many stories of people having Clown Triggers for years with no issues, and all of a sudden they decide to turn on everything in the tank..... even panther groupers twice their size, and completely tear them up.

What do yall recommend that will go with my lionfish? 120gallon tank, can I put a different kind of trigger what are some good predator fish to pair with my lion. I really love the triggers but I dont want my lionfish eaten! Need some good mates

I gotcha phranque thanks. The clowns are so amazing looking but ill pass on the clown, what about the niger trigger?

I've always thought the Picasso trigger was a beautiful fish.... While still considered "aggressive", it will have a much better temperament in a community predator tank

I gotcha phranque thanks. The clowns are so amazing looking but ill pass on the clown, what about the niger trigger?

Niger's a good fish, but will need more room than your 120. Think of them as one of the tangs of the trigger world, they need lots of open swimming room. I think min recommended tank is 180.

The good news about the lion fish is that they don't move around much. Everything else you mentioned are speed demons on the reef and have large territories. My lion lived in a 55 for years very comfortably. But the triggers and tangs need a lot of room and hiding holes.

Back
Top Bottom