Wal-mart & fish !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should wall-mart keep fish?

• Yes, they should be able to keep whatever they want

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, they should learn responsiblitys/ and or personell that are knowledgeable

• Most wallmarts know what there doing just a occasional BAD walmart!

• DOWN WITH THE WAL-MART! THEY DONT KNOW WHAT THERE DOING HALF THE TIME!

• Total voters
I dont see a problem in selling 4-5 ocars that are 1.5-2inch long out of a 10 gallon tank.. I wouldnt expect them to try to house them in a 200 gallon tank..

well i see from everybodys imput and i see now, but let me also remind you that i live in the city that is currently #1 in poverty, so i guess i should not expect much, and now i just given up becuase of many others say that it is the best thing to do! but i guess if im ever depressed i can just goto a greeter to cheer me up! lol

hey virus,

if you think wal-mart is bad you outta see the Tetra representitive that was on Good Morning America. I saw this on a website some time ago and you may be able to find the video if you google - Tetra Good Morning America or something.

Anyhow this rep from tetra put a Hippo Tang, Several Clownfish, some starfish and some sea horses in a 5 gallon aquarium and advised that this is the proper way to set up a new aqarium on national tv. Now that is pathetic!

in my walmart they are all kept in tiny tanks and they are all linked in one big filtration system so if one tanks has a disease theya ll do.

I'm anti-Walmart across the board. I try to NEVER go there.

All those nasty stories you may have heard about how they treat employees....are true. They find all kinds of ways to cheat employees out of their profit sharing, and overtime. On more than one occasion they made all of us clock out (it wasn't a 24 hour store) and come back to finish zoning/facing the departments, without pay, so they store wouldn't be over budget.

Not to mention how they drive small shops out of business. I cannot fathom why they think they need a 3rd walmart supercenter here in Lincoln. 2 supercenters, 2 Targets, 3-4 Shopko's...we're retailed out man!

Wal Mart Supercenter was my first job. I started there after HS graduation. It was terrible. I was a cashier, and all the registers were up front by the cart door, which was always open. It was hot as hell, and they refused to give us fans or anything. You got yelled at for going to the bathroom. They made me work for almost 7 hours with no break at all once. They refused to open all the registers, presumably so they wouldn't have to pay as many cashiers, which just meant that the customers were extra angry by the time they got to you after they waited through the huge line.

All of that sucks, but the worst part about it for me was that they would call you into mandatory meetings where you would have to do stupid cheers and stuff about how WalMart is such a great company. They would tell you about the great benefits package that they offer to FT employees-- then send you home once you hit 37 hours, so there would be no chance of ever getting those benefits. That wasn't such a big deal to me, since I was still living at home and stuff, but it sure sucked for the people who were stuck there as older adults. So Macman and malkore, I'm with you about WalMart. Their business practices are deplorable.

But, I agree that the topic of WalMart fish departments has been beaten to death. If you don't like the looks of the fish dept. then don't buy their fish.

Well you guys have been away from wal-mart for a long time, because I'm doing great in the company. I'm 18 and I've been with the company for 3 months and I just got my 90 day raise. I also am about to move to the electronics department. I always get 40 hours and last week i had 41.22 hours. They have no problem with it. You guys must have worked in bum stores or something. :| But yea, I saw that we got GSP in the other day, and they look alright for now. However, I never wanna bag one for anyone, because we just have nets. I don't think those puffers will like the nets, and I don't want one exploding on me. I suppose if anyone needs a fish I can always try to trick a puffer into one of the plastic things... I don't usually get fish anyway. I'm just right next to the pets section.

HA I worked at wal mart my first year of college and did far less than great. I worked in electronics and they threatned to fire me because I told a customer that the HP computer he was considering buying there would not run the game he wanted - BECAUSE IT WOULDNT!!

Anyhow they did not give me overtime, etc etc. I would never work there again!

I was an employee in Wal-mart and even thought most of my bosses were scum, one of my bosses was great boss, the problem is that usually the nice bosses leave, I was at a terrible store, The Wal-Mart I worked at for a year fire me for no reason once(did not even tell me about, I found out about a week after I was still working there, the day the store manager told me I ask why, he said he did not know, but before I could go home they were short on people so he ask me to stay and work), The night I put me two week notice in, we were yelled at because we were not working hard enough, so we worked harder, and then were yelled for working too hard, My bubble burst even though I was broke,
When I got out of college my loans started to catch up, and I thought I was forced back into Wal-mart, but I reach only the orientation because an old boss I worked with in the passed hire Thank you lord
The sad part was of the 8 people they were hiring I was the probably the best employee, The people across from me was a mother and son, the son turns the mother and say's I could be skating right now, The person next had never had a job and he was 23, One guy was pulled aside during the break because he was swearing, One guy mumbled and you could not understand, it was gibberish,

I thank god every night for being able to walk out that day

Our local walmarts keep their tanks very clean and none of the fish are left dead lying around. There are some lfs's around here whose tanks are in terrible condition. My rule, judge each store individually and deal with only that. Makes no difference to me the name behind the store, only what goes on IN the store.

malkore said:
On more than one occasion they made all of us clock out (it wasn't a 24 hour store) and come back to finish zoning/facing the departments, without pay, so they store wouldn't be over budget.

Completely against the law.. Bad, Bad, Bad management at that store..
As far as not allowing people to get overtime and hiring part-time help to avoid overtime and keeping human resource budgets in check is just part of any business that has workers.. The fact that retail businesses are smarter about it is beyond me, health care and some other industries could really take a lesson from retail in this regard they waste entirely too much money on overtime..

Back
Top Bottom