Walmart Plants......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ikon said:
Purrbox said:
Okay, so you've got one bulb in the shape of a U correct? That would be 65watts total then. This is the standard way that most Compact Fluorescents look. So at least you weren't quite as overkill on the light as you initially thought.

ya most of the bulbs already has green leaves ... but there is one bulb its got 2 leaves almost at the top of the tank ... now when it reaches the top .. how do i cut it back w/o damaging the plant .. do i cut the leaf anywhere i want on the leaf or at the base or what ..

the other bulbs .. the green leaves are growing .. not as tall though .. but they have white roots .. now my question is ........ do i bury the entire bulb or just the roots in the gravel ??

also when i use flourish liq .. do i dump it into the tank .. or is it best to use some kind of turkey baster and inject it right by/on the plants ??

You will want to cut the entire leaf at the base. I'd let it float at the surface a bit but if it shades too much of the light just snip it off. You don't want to cut 1/2 the leaf or in the middle, that will just weaken the plant and invite disease.

If the plant sinks on its own I would probably just bury a root or two to keep it stationary, but definitely not bury the bulb. I'd treat it like a rhizome in other plants and we like to keep them above the surface to prevent rot.

Just dump the flourish into the tank. I try to aim for my filter output to disperse the liquid evenly. This stuff is no joke, its used to rid the tank of algae and can harm/kill your fish if you use too much (or its too concentrated in one area). If you have some spot algae issues then its a great idea to use a small baster or other pipet-like tool to shoot the Excel directly on the affected plant leaf/thing, but its normally better to just remove the leaf. Better for the plant, and you can be 100% positive that particular algae is gone from the tank (and not just dead).

HTH

These are the apons I have in my 29 gallon. You can see them floating on the top of the water. Time for a trim methinks. A lot of times you will find v-shaped flowers at the water line too.

Attachments

• apons_211.jpg
    apons_211.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 40
verucaproduce said:
These are the apons I have in my 29 gallon. You can see them floating on the top of the water. Time for a trim methinks. A lot of times you will find v-shaped flowers at the water line too.

so its ok to have the bulb plants ( walmart plants ) floating ??

i was told to buy some of the roots .. but thats kinda impossible since the roots are smaller than the bulbs .. how am i suppose to bury the roots without buring the bulbs ?

ive had the same java ferns for about ayear or so and ive always had the rhizome just underneath the gravel and so far they havent died yet ..

so when i trim the walmart plants ... i cut where the " leaf" and the stem meets ?? do i cut it straight at an angle or wut ??

also, what is a 50/50 bulb light bulb ?

so its ok to have the bulb plants ( walmart plants ) floating ??

i was told to buy some of the roots .. but thats kinda impossible since the roots are smaller than the bulbs .. how am i suppose to bury the roots without buring the bulbs ?

Sorry that I wasn't clear. I meant the stems of the plants have grown the entire height of the tank and the leaves are floating on the top of the water.

What I do when I first get them, is throw them in the tank until they sprout. When (if) they do, I plant the bulb in the substrate with the green part sticking out. You usually won't have roots when you do this. The roots will grow in the substrate.

I haven't had any problems burying the bulbs.

A 50/50 light bulb has half actinic light (pretty much useless to plants) and half daylight (usually 10000K).

Well I bought some of the bulbs after reading this. I bought 2 packages containing 5 lily bulbs. Out of the 5, 1 is growing, 3 are sitting on the bottom doing nothing, and 1 never sank. So I paid $6 for one good plant really, would have paid that at Petland or Petsmart.

Alshain said:
Well I bought some of the bulbs after reading this. I bought 2 packages containing 5 lily bulbs. Out of the 5, 1 is growing, 3 are sitting on the bottom doing nothing, and 1 never sank. So I paid $6 for one good plant really, would have paid that at Petland or Petsmart.

Return the dead bulbs to the supplier, they will replace them

Return the dead bulbs to the supplier, they will replace them

Yep. And most times they send extras.

Also, how long have you left them in there? Sometimes it takes quite a while for them to grow, especially the lily bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom