Walmart Rescue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know now that I absolutely can NOT go into the fish section at walmart. I rescued another betta. There was one that was dead already in one filthy cup, and another one well on its way. The water was yellow and there were pieces of his fins floating around in there with him. I couln't leave him there to die. So I brought him home. He is in really bad shape but still pretty active. He will reside temporarily in the 2 gallon hex thing that I have. If he makes it through the night, I will post pics. Everyone cross your fingers!

Good job Meredith. Let us know.
It's amazing how different some places are. I have not been to our Wal-Mart's fish section, but our PetCo isn't all that bad as far as healthy fish are concerned. From what I have read here it may be the only one. :)

Don't the US have some form of agency you can complain to? I know I'd get the council onto any shop that kept their fish in that kind of state.

I wrote a letter to walmart once, but I never got a response. I am going to do it again, but this time I will be sending pictures.

OUR WAL-MART kills fish like a hobby.. then they sell what they don't kill to people like me who are too tired to drive 100 miles to the big city to get good fish.. I bought 2 plecos small 3 weeks ago.. They both died in 4 days and infected my whole 55 gallon tank.. Took 2 weeks to recover and only lost one guppy, but she was a breeder.. Wal-mart sucks..they seriously put 150-200 small fish in one 10 gallon sale tank.. then when one gets sick, all 200 get sick and all 200 die.. all but maybe two then they sell those two.. TO ME>> and then they die.. b*st*ds.... I wish someone would put Wal-mart ceo's in a fishtank with 199 of their best friends all with deadly diseases for two weeks to see if they survive.. please call peta.. Oh, and the latest travesty, they put aggressive fish in with neon tetras, and all the other tiny defenseless fish. When I worked at the pet store 2 years ago.. we put one kind of fish per tank.. just in case.. and all the sick fish, got their own tanks.. we went thru many $$$ trying to keep and sell happy healthly fish.. He was what you call a GOOD LFS.. and now he's out of business cause of Wal-mart, the fish killers.. again call peta..

Quote: I wish someone would put Wal-mart ceo's in a fishtank with 199 of their best friends

I doubt he has 199 friends. Maybe for money!

sparky-277 said:
where is P.E.T.A when u need them?

Out protesting local KFC's for not treating chickens "humanely" before killing and deep frying them. Good cause don't ya think?

My Walmart is a death machine for fishies. It's the sickest saddest thing I've ever seen.....100 little kids standing around enjoying watching the pleco devour the carcasses of all the fish that died in their tank. 8O

It would suit me just fine if WM stopped selling fish altogether. If anyone is as old as me and can remember, WM used to also sell birds, hamster, mice and guines pigs.........but they quit doing that. Someone needs to stop them from selling anything alive.......seriously! :evil:

There are good stores out there. Some are not. Best you can do it combat the issue at a local level. Talk to the store manager.

Meredith, how is the lil betta?

Did the Betta make it? I sure hope so! Good for you for trying to help this little thing out and give him/her a healthy place to live.

crazyred said:
sparky-277 said:
where is P.E.T.A when u need them?

If anyone is as old as me and can remember, WM used to also sell birds, hamster, mice and guinea pigs.........but they quit doing that. Someone needs to stop them from selling anything alive.......seriously! :evil:

i don't know how old you are but i remember that! i actually rescued my peaches from there. (little peach and white hamster)

i just rescued a pink Betta from pet smart. i hate to see them in those tiny little jars!!! its a good thing they don't community i would rescue them all!

"Piglet" is happy in his aquarium! we already have a tigger (who is blue, don't know where that came from LOL)

what passed me off was the girl at PS kept telling me that the betas didn't need warm water. that they are cold water fish. Well i know they don't NEED it but it makes them happier! before i started my fish passion i didn't know a lot about Betta's. i feel bad for them all now!

Meredith said:
I wrote a letter to walmart once, but I never got a response. I am going to do it again, but this time I will be sending pictures.
I would call them instead of write. And make sure you call the 1-800 number not the store.

There r good stores and bad store in every big chains like that. Take my area. We have a ladie ta store on grand street. She keeps fish her self and the tanks and betta's are keep in top nouch shape { At all times } Her guys that work on the night shift do the same thing. But then you go to the store not 5 miles away and it's like a death trape for the fish. Tanks yellow or green with algee and god only knows what else.
So your going to find good and bad in most all store chains. Where money is all that matters!!!

Oh wow. Sorry I never did an update. No that one only lived for two days. I sort of figured it wouldn't make it though. They let some of those fish go for so long with out a water change. When I do go in there, if I see any cups that look gross I take them off the shelf and I go put them on the counter next to the sink. I have taken as many as 6 cups of fish to the sink. I don't know if they do anything about the gross water, but I am hoping that someone will get the hint.

I have found the way to get Wal-mart to step plate and do something about it. I have called the local news stations and asked them "If a case of animal negleic would be something they'd report on. They told yes and then when I call the store and tell the manager. That me and a news crew will be there at so and so time to report on the bad fish keeping and unsfe for the sell to humans act. " They will get someone in that department that knows about and can keep fish. And supper fast to try it it works.

Back
Top Bottom