Want to know more about salt water tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had freshwater tanks as long as I can remember. My first fish was a red wag platy that live in a 3 gallon heated bowl with a little sponge/charcoal filter. I loved that thing... It lived five years before its untimely leap from the bowl. I've got five tanks right now, all freshwater.. 55, 46, 10, 5, 2.5.

The more I delve into saltwater literature and pictures of saltwater tanks, the more I feel that longing to take that cold, salty plunge into the world of salty-goodness that is keeping saltwater aquaria.

I want to know the absolute basic things you need for a saltwater tank, some things that are nice to have but arent necessary, and stuff that people try to sell you that you dont really need. Id really like to start up a saltwater aquarium with my next tank. ^,^ Something simple. 30 gallons with a pair of clowns, some gobies, and a few inverts with live rock.

For example... In freshwater aquariums...

Need:
You need a tank (duh). A filter. A heater if you have tropical fish. An API masterkit. Water conditioner. A gravel vacuum. Lights. Food. (again.. kind of duh) Thermometer

Nice to have:
Gravel. Decorations. Live plants. Filter brushes (the bendy kind that can get into the filter intake). Scrub brushes.

Dont need:
Ph up/down products. Clarifier (unless its a serious problem) Algae removing products (imo, they do more harm than good) "Instant cycle" products

You don't need a gravel vacuum. Just use fine grained sand and nothing will get trapped in it. Flow will keep food from lying on the bottom. A couple power heads will provide that.
It's basically the same as fresh water except for the salt and fish requirements. The inches of fish per gallon rule does not apply to salt water.
You need a swing arm hydrometer (inaccurate, but it's something) or better yet a refractometer.
Salt
Test kit for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
And that's it.

Saltwater tanks do have more requirements / less room for error than FW tanks, but I am told that once you get the hang of it, SW tanks (particularily peaceful community reefs) have a way of becoming their very own ecosystem and taking care of themselves to an extent, because each inhabitant supports / relies upon another and they live cooperatively, from tiny invisible micro-organisms to your largest reef fish. Personally, I have never accomplished anything beyond a very simple FOWLR with inverts and plants, mostly because I was afraid to try anything more, due to the costs.... I'd love a reef though, someday. I even have a 260g set aside for it, lol.

Salt water tanks do not have less room for error as far as i've experienced. Keeping photosynthetic creatures is another story. A general fish tank is the same, except for the salt. You test for the same things, do water changes, feed...all the same.

Yeah I just started my saltwater tank not to long ago and it's the same exact thing except for the salty water.

You guys are making it very difficult to not get a salt water tank, lol.

We've got this beautiful little 29 gallon starter kit at work, for freshwater of course, but itd be so easy to convert it to salt water....

Give it a try! I started my 29 gallon 6 months ago on a whim that my 4 year old wanted nemo lol I did all the research first but had never kept a saltwater tank and from what I can tell you it defiantly is not hard. Just make sure you ask a lot of questions if you have any and things will turn out fine. Just keep up on your water changes especially once your tank starts to get a decent bio load. Other than that the live stock cost more but is well worth it. it turned into a great hobby for me all because of my son.

Give it a try! I started my 29 gallon 6 months ago on a whim that my 4 year old wanted nemo lol I did all the research first but had never kept a saltwater tank and from what I can tell you it defiantly is not hard. Just make sure you ask a lot of questions if you have any and things will turn out fine. Just keep up on your water changes especially once your tank starts to get a decent bio load. Other than that the live stock cost more but is well worth it. it turned into a great hobby for me all because of my son.

I wish I could! But that is going to have to wait until we get a house. My husband, 2 1/2 year old, and I live in a two bedroom apartment. We've got 5 fish tanks (55 gallon, 46, 10, 5, 2.5) and a reptile terrarium for a bearded (50 gallon?) plus two cats.

We have no space, atm. Plus I think my husband would get mad at me. He likes fish too.. But doesnt QUITE get the obsession. :)

My wife is the same way I want to get a 125 but is making me wait until we get a house then she said I can have a 200+ built in the wall. So for now I'm stuck with my 29

Hi it was the best thing I ever done converting from fresh to salt water. I must warn you it's very addictive, lol.

Salt water tanks do not have less room for error as far as i've experienced. Keeping photosynthetic creatures is another story. A general fish tank is the same, except for the salt. You test for the same things, do water changes, feed...all the same.
Agreed ,so many people tend to make it out to be so difficult for those "thinking" about getting in to it...Its not..If you can keep a thriving FW system ,you can do the same for a SW fish only system

I agree its not hard at all. And it is an addiction also a great conversation piece. I reciently had a birthday party for my 1yo daughter and everyone kept asking me about the tank. That's always a bad idea for most of us saltwater people because we just start spouting off at the mouth about stuff most people don't understand. Lol but its crazy once you start with saltwater you won't be able to stop there is always something cool to add to the tank

It is pretty easy. I've never had a problem only had a snail die but I think it may of been a bad one I bought. I would get a protien skimmer also. I tried to run without one and it was fine but I just could feel the water quality wasn't as good as could be. I had a cyano outbreak so o bought one. Only filtration is just a hob with a sponge and some fluval water polishing pads in it.

I should have elaborated.

With SW fish costing considerably more than FW fish, I am generally ALOT more cautious in my husbandry when it comes to SW tanks... And I did include photosynthetic creatures and advanced inverts in my brain when making that statement, lol.

Funny that since I started my 29g saltwater tank, my 140 and 240 freshwater tanks don't seem as interesting! The movement of the corals, the brighter colors of the fish all make it so much more interesting to watch! Now I am pricing the things it will take to make my 140g saltwater.

If it weren't for the costs, I would switch to 100% SW in a heartbeat. I agree, almost everything is more colorful and 'alive'... It's better than TV, IMO. I have fake corals in my FW tanks, and they are almost insulting, lol.

Back
Top Bottom