Want to start a nano reef- 10gall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbox

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I want to change my 10 gallon freshwater tank into a nano reef.

I am a complete beginner to salt water, so what do i need to do before i can add fish? What will i need? How long will it take?

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated! I am open for any suggestions

Thanks in Advance.

I have a 10 gallon salt with corals. Its best to get salt water from your local fish store. Things can be added a lot quicker. I started with some base rock, my own mix of tap water and salt, live sand, a little heater, and an aquaclear 20 filter. I waited a month before i added a fish and it was a damsel because they are pretty hardy and not too sensative as far as having perfect water parameters. Good thing to get at first too would be a test kit to make sure you have 0 nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia. They say you have to have a ph of 8.3, but my tank is fine and its always at like 7.9 to 8.0. If u get corals and want a good light, i am using a marineland reef capable led light system. Its for tanks 18 to 24 in. I have all types of corals and they are pleased with the light i have. It doesn't consume a lot of energy, it doesn't get hot, and the bulbs last forever(11years) i hope this gives you a little bit better of an idea for what to do.

Back
Top Bottom