Want to start seahorse tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaBubbles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, here is what I want to do. I would like some tips and/or advice on exactly how I would go about doing this and what would be the best fit, if possible.

This will be my first saltwater tank. I KNOW seahorses are quite hard to take care of. I'm up to the challange (with help of course).

I plan on getting between 10-15gl tank. So, the things I want to know.

What I'll need.
The best kind of seahorse for me. Dwarf perhaps?
Is the cycle period the same as a regular saltwater tank?
Please share any experiances with seahorses and tips.
Tell me anything and everything.

I would really like seahorses, but if it's not a fit, I'm willing to turn to something else, but NOT because this is my first tank. I will not get seahorses in the case that they require more space, I don't have the right environment, ect. Otherwise, I could turn to other saltwater fish.

Thank you very much.

yes dwarf would be the only kind you could get with that size of tank. The cycle should be the same as a normal saltwater tank. Would you be getting live rock?

If you do get LR try getting the Tonga LR as it`s quite branchy and something the seahorses can wrap their tail around.

There's some really good articles on here to help out with curing the live rock and cycling the tank. If you haven't read them yet it would be good to check them out. Also everywhere i have read states that the dwarf seahorses need live food. You could look into a small breeding tank or just buy the brine shrimp eggs for that.

Im actually in the same boat as you. I have a 14G hex tank but im waiting 6+ months for the tank to mature so right now its just a FOWLR.

most of what I have read is dont use live rock with dwarf seahorses, contains undesirable hitchikers you dont want in with dwarves. Hydroids are a big problem. It takes researching things out and using the advice of ones who have been keeping dwarf seahorses. Even the shrimp eggs can contain hydroids..

Back
Top Bottom