Want to start soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigCDubya

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey All, I want to get into this hobby and I want to get it right the first time.
I bought a fluval 304 and a 30 gallon tall aquarium for 50 bucks at a yard sale, I thought it was a good deal considering in Canada 305s run for like 200 anyways. I thought to my self maybe I should do some reading.

Given what I have learned by reading thread from this site I have learned a lot. I want save and get at least a 55 gallon tank now. Here is what I’m thinking of doing. I want to fully cycle the 30 gallon and fill it with enough gravel substrate for a 55 gallon tank. So when the tank is cycled I want to add the gravel and 304 to the 55 and begin cycling that. Now here are my questions.

I want to have the 55 gallon planted.

Here are my questions. Can I add plants before the tank is cycled; do plants help the cycling process?

Also is it a good idea to put the water from the 30 in the 55 provided it has good levels and has been cycled?

My fluval 304 is missing the mechanical filter sponge tray? Can just add filter floss and sponge where the tray should go?

Let me know what you think, Im open to any and all suggestions, objections, criticisms lol.

Thanks

Yes you can add plants before the cycle is completely cycled.
Yes plants will help you cycle the tank.
Yes it's okay to seed with water but it's better to just change out some of the filter material in your fluval and pop it into the 55gal's filter or just toss it into the tank itself. The gravel you switch in will probably be enough.
I Don't know about the fluval but if it's just missing it's original filtermedia yes you can do that although I like bonded filter pads more. If it's missing an actual mechanical part just trying to fill it in with filter media won't help.
Good luck on your first set up.

I know a lot of the folks here on AA condemn this practice but I use bacterial seeders, specifically this: http://outdoorelementspa.com/pond_bacteria.html Yes i know it's for ponds. You will have to micro-dose with this stuff. I use it in my ponds for the spring start up and it works wonders. Used it in my aquriums, went from 4ppm to 0-1 ppm ammonia in about 3 weeks. Good stuff. I use the dry hydro-topia super strength. Less than half a gram treats about 20 gallons of water. After a week of 0 ammonia I stopped dosing this stuff even though the container says to keep doing it. I've been at 0 ammonia for over a year now.
(I also cheated by stealing some of my ponds gunk for my tank, the bacteria just helps balance out the nutrient levels in the tank) Also the stuff is about 50 dollars a jar so the cost is going to outweigh the benefits in the end. I use it for my ponds and so I already had it on hand.
However for your first tank, it's probably best to do it naturally, I was willing to risk a ecological crash.

You're off to a great start. Waiting to cycle is always a good thing. You shouldn't need to put enough gravel in the 30 to fill the 55. If you transfer SOME of the gravel from the 30 to the 55 it'll help the cycle immensely. Then again, if you're also transferring the filter, you probably won't even have a cycle in the 55. (But if you continue to use the 30 you might have a mini cycle there)

I don't think that plants help the cycle as they generally eat up a bit of the ammonia as well, so there is less to go around for the bacteria. They do help keep water parameters nice after the cycle though. (I've been wrong before lol)

Uh, you don't really have to transfer the water from the 30 to the 55. There is surprisingly little bacteria in the water, as most of it is on the filter, rocks, substrate etc.

I don't really know about the sponge tray, but as long as water is running through whatever you put in there (filter floss, sponges etc) you'll be fine.

And BTW, if you want to start, start cycling NOW so you don't get impatient. Heck, fill the tank up, put the heater and filter on, and throw some fish food in there, and let it run for a few days. That should get you started. (Clean the tank (not with soap) and use dechlorinated water of course). Before the whole fishless cycle thing with pure ammonia caught on, people used to simply use fish food as an ammonia source. It's safe, you don't have to worry about what kind to buy (as they're all SAFE for fish (duh)), and it gets you into the rhythm of feeding fish every day.

Dont even bother transfering the water, just do the media. You can just run the filter your using for the 30 on the 55 (assuming it has the capabilities to sufficently run on the 55) and let it run. It would be even better if you can use the same substrate and decor as it contains TONS of good bacteria and if you use the filter thats already seeded and the substrate you will see no cycle to a mini cycle but i wouldnt use any chemicals that say "insta-cycle" Good luck and put some pics up when you finish!!

Back
Top Bottom