Wanting to dirt my tank. Worried about BB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evansbradley

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, my tank recently finished cycling about two to three weeks ago, and I am now wanting to convert it from a gravel bottom to a dirted tank with gravel on top. Or possibly just using Eco complete. Which is the better option and will doing either one of those harm the population of my BB? I have a HOB filter and was told that that was where the majority of the BB would colonize.

The BB will be fine as long as you keep the filter media in dechlorinated water. They will die off very slowly in there without waste to consume so i'd just dump them in used tank water while you change out the substrate. Just make sure the soil you use is organic with no wetting agents added.

Dirted tanks can be a touch messy when pulling plants out, but as long as you don't vacuum the gravel it's not often an issue. Swish the vac around over the surface to stir up any waste siitting on the bottom and you should be fine. I use dirt & root tabs in most of my planted tanks and love the results i get. I have not used the manufactured substrates so i can't comment on them aside from saying they will not harm your BB

The BB will be fine as long as you keep the filter media in dechlorinated water. They will die off very slowly in there without waste to consume so i'd just dump them in used tank water while you change out the substrate. Just make sure the soil you use is organic with no wetting agents added.

Dirted tanks can be a touch messy when pulling plants out, but as long as you don't vacuum the gravel it's not often an issue. Swish the vac around over the surface to stir up any waste siitting on the bottom and you should be fine. I use dirt & root tabs in most of my planted tanks and love the results i get. I have not used the manufactured substrates so i can't comment on them aside from saying they will not harm your BB

Where do you get your dirt? Do you just use soil from outside or what?

Most hardware/home improvement stores will carry what you need..that being 100% organic top soil(no additives).

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

No perlite or added fertilizers..just 100% organic soil..just a tip,sift removing small sticks&large chunks..

When I do my Dirted tanks I add a bit of osmocote+ on the bottom glass of tank then add dirt(1 1/2")soak to a thick mud consistency(no dry pockets)then add a 1"-1 1/2" cap(usually sand) placing a small saucer on the cap w/fill hose dispersing on plate slowly filling the tank.

Where do you get your dirt? Do you just use soil from outside or what?

I generally just use any bought organic soil. I take a few minutes to read that no additives are included but any organic soil from a hardware store is fine. I found a bag of organic soil at a supermarket for $7 for my first dirted tank It works fine. I grow healthy root feeders in it. If you use yard dirt you run the risk of pesticides & weed sprays from neighbors having washed into the soil you put into your tank. You may inadvertently poison a fish.

And also Tiger Terror gave good advice about the Osmocote + being added. A small container of that retails for between $7->$8 in Australia and it will last a long time.

Good luck with this. I never went with dirt because I thought it would become a mess with the amount of rearranging that can occur (despite the capping). At the time I was just starting out and was not sure what I was doing. I stuck with Ecocomplete and root supplements. Maybe one day...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When I do my Dirted tanks I add a bit of osmocote+ on the bottom glass of tank then add dirt(1 1/2")soak to a thick mud consistency(no dry pockets)then add a 1"-1 1/2" cap(usually sand) placing a small saucer on the cap w/fill hose dispersing on plate slowly filling the tank.

Awesome, thank you! I'll try to find some of that osmocote+. I'll give this a shot.

I generally just use any bought organic soil. I take a few minutes to read that no additives are included but any organic soil from a hardware store is fine. I found a bag of organic soil at a supermarket for $7 for my first dirted tank It works fine. I grow healthy root feeders in it. If you use yard dirt you run the risk of pesticides & weed sprays from neighbors having washed into the soil you put into your tank. You may inadvertently poison a fish.

And also Tiger Terror gave good advice about the Osmocote + being added. A small container of that retails for between $7->$8 in Australia and it will last a long time.

Yeah, I was kinda worried about the pesticides and stuff. I guess imll just stick with a bag of organic soil. Thanks for your help!

Good luck with this. I never went with dirt because I thought it would become a mess with the amount of rearranging that can occur (despite the capping). At the time I was just starting out and was not sure what I was doing. I stuck with Ecocomplete and root supplements. Maybe one day...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well, I'll let you know how my experiment with it goes!

I've been reading up on dirting tanks, and it sounds like the dirt will cause ammonia spikes and such, and that this will cycle a tank. However, my tank is already cycled and has fish in it. Will dirting it now cause another cycle to occur? Is it safe to keep my fish in the tank? Unsure if I should just use Eco complete and forget about dirt for now, or if I should go ahead with this. Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom