Water change and testing. Time frame?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
How long after a water change can you test? What to you fellow fish keepers do. I did a water change about 5 hours ago. Wanting to test before I go to bed.

I would think it depends on the tank size and the amount of water movement (filtration). For a 75g tank with a 50% WC and a canister filter I'd wait about 1 hour.

I wait like an hour and a half. That gives the new and old water enough time to mix together.

I wait 24 hours...think I read it somewhere

Water Change Question

How long after a water change can you test? What to you fellow fish keepers do. I did a water change about 5 hours ago. Wanting to test before I go to bed.

Hello Con...

How long has the tank been running? Is it cycled? I change half the tank water weekly in my cycled tanks and don't test the water. By flushing so much pure, treated tap water through the tank, that guarantees there's no time for pollutants to build in the water before the next large change, so you have constant water stability. It makes water tesing unnecessary.

If the tank is still cycling with fish, then after a 25 to 30 percent water change, you don't have to test for 24 hours.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello Con...

How long has the tank been running? Is it cycled? I change half the tank water weekly in my cycled tanks and don't test the water. By flushing so much pure, treated tap water through the tank, that guarantees there's no time for pollutants to build in the water before the next large change, so you have constant water stability. It makes water tesing unnecessary.

If the tank is still cycling with fish, then after a 25 to 30 percent water change, you don't have to test for 24 hours.

B

Yeah it's cycled. I do my water changes was just a question. Thanks for the response though. Been up and running for awhile.

Back
Top Bottom