Water change if PH is low??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rnb62679

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I changed my water last week and my PH went down quite a bit as my LFS rep told me it would so I have been adding a powder substance which is to higher you PH level but as of today it was at 8.0, my question is if I do another water change this weekend i'm afraid that my PH will drop too much. Any suggestions???

What are your tap water KH and PH??

What buffer did you add in??

What fish do you keep or want??

How many PWC per month?

What amount of water do you remove when PWC?? ( in %)

What salt are you using??

Sorry...

What is your magnesium and calcium level??

Lol
What alkalinity??

And last your level of ammo, no2 an no3?

Please!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the Kent Marine Superbuffer-dkh.
I have chromis and a small sailfin tang.
My 50gal tank is a little over 2 months old and I was told by the LFS rep not to do water change until cycled. I did 10% water change last week and I was planning on doing another 10% this week but not sure if I should.
I am really trying to do from now on water change every 2 weeks after I get this under control.
I have not yet tested my tap water, is there a reason I need to?

i would aim a power head towards the surface for better gas exchange, and not worry about much else. that usually corrects a low ph.

wow my magnesium and calcium level, I do not have anything to test that yet.
Ammonia was at 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 30

Power head, ok I was planning on getting one anyway since I will eventually try to get some corals also, thanks!

rnb62679 said:
Power head, ok I was planning on getting one anyway since I will eventually try to get some corals also, thanks!

Go for 30 times the volume of your aquarium with powerhead!

If your salt is good you should manage everithing all right with 10% water change per week.

With some corals you need to boost alkalinity and Kh and sometimes magnesium and calcium.

With no corals and a good salt you should be ok.

Remember, powerhead for 30 times the aquarium volume!!

Tunze is a great one but there is a lot of companie for that!

choosing a power head should be done considering the livestock you intend to keep, not by what size tank you have. sps corals require more flow than lps, reef tanks more than fish only tanks...etc.

what time of the day are you testing the ph?
why have you a sailfin tang in a 55g tank and stil cycling?
you need to cycle your tank before adding any fish.
Take your fish back to your lfs and cycle your tank first.
Your tank isnt big enough for a sailfin anyway
You dont need to test ph when your cycling, just amm trites and trates

This is my first saltwater tank so my LFS said after a month it was ok to get fish so i did and was not aware about the tang until after. It is fairly small so i was told i could keep it there, I will eventually get a bigget tank next year. I test my ph around noon or so. So David are you saying my tank is not fully cycled?

Back
Top Bottom