Water change question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommaof4boys

Aquarium Advice Freak
It is time for a water change and to make a long story very short, I had tons of problems with my levels until I changed it the last time and used spring water and put in two moss balls.... and that was like 3 weeks ago! So, its time for a water change but my levels look really good and I was wondering, should I use regular tap water or do the spring water again? I know that my tap water has high alkalinity and hardness... I just don't want to mess my levels up again!

How new is the tank? What size? What fish? I'm guessing it's still cycling?

Three weeks is a long time between water changes, particularly if the tank is cycling.

Your tap water should be fine to use; most fish will adapt to your water.

You could use tap but you'll need to change water slowly over the course of a few days so as not to shock the fish as your tap water will have different levels (PH, etc) than the spring water. Don't forget dechlorinator. :)

My tank has been set up since Jan 1st.... I've changed the water every week until the last time about 3 weeks ago when I finally stopped using he tap water and used the spring water for the first time! After that one water change the levels were awesome and I let it go... but I know its time for a water change and I'm just unsure which one I should use... the tap or the spring!

Oh, its a 10 gallon tank with a pleco (I'm tryin to find a new home for him) and 1 red tail rasbora, and a black skirt tetra!

If you are able to acquire the spring water every week to do water changes then I'd keep using it. If not then I'd slowly make the transition over to tapwater. Bottom line is your fish will appreciate the consistency of whichever you choose.
Im glad to hear you already know your pleco needs rehomed. Also I'd like to point out that your other two are schooling fish and do better in groups of 5 or more.

Hi, Thanks, I am super glad to be here!! I actually am aware of the other 2 fish being schooling fish... I am trying to hold off on getting rid of them because I think I am going to luck into a bigger tank and I'm hoping to keep them and give them some friends! :) So, I'm trying to hold off on those 2 but I know the Pleco needs a new home!! :(

Imo I would have to say try using your tap water buying spring water gets kind of pricey If ya know what I mean. For the first time do a mix of the two water to change it slow and keep testing your water to make sure your ammonia. Nitrite nitrate don't start heading where there not suppose to. Have you rinsed out your filter media or anything yet? Hows your levels look now? It may help if you use a 5 gallon bucket that you have never used before and put the water and add dechllorinater to it the day before doing your water change.

Last edited:
Imo I would have to say try using your tap water buying spring water gets kind of pricey If ya know what I mean. For the first time do a mix of the two water to change it slow and keep testing your water to make sure your ammonia. Nitrite nitrate don't start heading where there not suppose to. Have you rinsed out your filter media or anything yet? Hows your levels look now? It may help if you use a 5 gallon bucket that you have never used before and put the water and add dechllorinater to it the day before doing your water change.

I just done the water change yesterday, I did rinse out my filter because it had green gooky stuff, I assume from the moss balls, on the bottom of it and it was slowing down the flow. I didn't scrub it hard or anything, just lightly rinsed and rubbed the bottom where that stuff was. I ended up using the spring water that I had already purchased for the tank and I might try to do half and half this next time... I don't know how easy it will be to leave a bucket of water sitting out with babies crawling around.. lol but I will see what I can come up with! How long does it have to sit out exactly? Oh and my levels are sitting at:
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
Hardness 75
Alkalinity 80-120
pH 7.2-7.8 more on the 7.2 side

:fish2:

If your adding dechlorinator you don't have to let the water sit. Dechlorinators are designed to work almost instantly.

That would be a lot better! :) What is a good dechlorinator? Is there anything else I should be adding to my tank on a weekly or monthly basis?

Mommaof4boys said:
That would be a lot better! :) What is a good dechlorinator? Is there anything else I should be adding to my tank on a weekly or monthly basis?

SeaChem Prime. It's a bit pricey but is super concentrated so it lasts longer. All you need for a healthy tank is clean water and dechlorinator.

If your using buckets you can dose prime in each bucket. If your using a hose/water changer you can dose the whole tank with enough prime to treat the full amount if water in the tank. Add the prime to the tank first then the new water.

SeaChem Prime. It's a bit pricey but is super concentrated so it lasts longer. All you need for a healthy tank is clean water and dechlorinator.

If your using buckets you can dose prime in each bucket. If your using a hose/water changer you can dose the whole tank with enough prime to treat the full amount if water in the tank. Add the prime to the tank first then the new water.

Awesome! I have Prime, that is what I was using to try to help level my tank out before! Thank you so much! :)

Mommaof4boys said:
I just done the water change yesterday, I did rinse out my filter because it had green gooky stuff, I assume from the moss balls, on the bottom of it and it was slowing down the flow. I didn't scrub it hard or anything, just lightly rinsed and rubbed the bottom where that stuff was. I ended up using the spring water that I had already purchased for the tank and I might try to do half and half this next time... I don't know how easy it will be to leave a bucket of water sitting out with babies crawling around.. lol but I will see what I can come up with! How long does it have to sit out exactly? Oh and my levels are sitting at:
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 0
Hardness 75
Alkalinity 80-120
pH 7.2-7.8 more on the 7.2 side

:fish2:

Looking good momma, you are in the right track, in my opinion your tap water will be ok once you are cycled

Back
Top Bottom