Water change, too much or ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
reefrunner69 said:
Nitrate and phosphate are the big ones, for sure, but the trace elements they load the salt mixes with will feed algae as well as coral.

Great discussion, with many good points!
I think the import of trace elements with the water changes, would only become an issue, if using a reef grade salt, as these are juiced with more than normal levels. If using a "normal" salt mix, like regular IO, this would have less of a negative effect, in this light.
I think we all agree that more frequent, smaller changes, are by far better than one large one.

I do roughly 10% weekly changes, with total volume taken into account, with regular IO. This is with an embarrassingly under-sized skimmer and no GFO, without any algae issues. Fish load is very light, however. Because of coral load, I do dose with 2-part, daily.

Dino, so far your tank seems to be doing quite well. Even though 20% seems like a lot (5g on approx. 25g total), with a reef grade salt mix (which I think you use), I would stick with that. Bumping it up to 8g, means you would be completely turning over the tank water every 3 1/2 weeks. With 5g, your turning it every 5 weeks.
I agree that too large or too frequent changes with a reef salt will stack up many elements that we aren't testing for, as well as some that we are, in our tanks. JMO...

I think 3-5 gallons a week is fine, I plan on doing 2-3 gallons a week on my 20 when it establishes, but as I said earlier, allow the circumstances in your tank and your inhabitants reactions guide you in how much is too much.

Btw, sweet looking tank! Be careful that that bubble doesn't sting the leather.

Thanks everyone and thanks reefrunner I can move the bubble down more if I have to. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Thanks again.

10% is usually good, BUT if you're having water quality issues, obviously do more frequent/larger changes.

Convict2161 said:
Thanks everyone and thanks reefrunner I can move the bubble down more if I have to. I'll keep an eye on it though.

Thanks again.

55g tank 15g sump 5g waterchange every 7-10 days for the last 3 years using reefcrystals i dose nothing and feed 5 fish once a day

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120728_122225.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120728_122225.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 74
danbstrong said:
55g tank 15g sump 5g waterchange every 7-10 days for the last 3 years using reefcrystals i dose nothing and feed 5 fish once a day

I forgot to mention that your not allowed to show me up with pics of your tank in my own thread. J/K

:)

Awesome tank!! Again another member that doesn't dose anything, I love it and your tank looks great!! No 2 part? Nothing? That's great!

Again sick tank!! I hope one day to get a bigger tank and it looks like yours!

Do you siphon your sandbed when you do your water changes? Everyone seems to have pristine sandbeds in their tanks and mine is just awful. Even increasing flow doesn't help. I just can't beat the slime algae in my system.

Sniperhank said:
Do you siphon your sandbed when you do your water changes? Everyone seems to have pristine sandbeds in their tanks and mine is just awful. Even increasing flow doesn't help. I just can't beat the slime algae in my system.

No i dont siphon i do have nassarius snails they keep the sandbed stirred for me i probably have 25 or so i wouldn recommend stirring the sand because it will release nutrients into the water causing problems imo it takes about a year for a tank to mature and stabalize i do use a calcium reactor it keeps alk at 12 and cal at 420 by far the best investment next to lights but thats it no chemicals sps grow like crazy since adding it

danbstrong said:
No i dont siphon i do have nassarius snails they keep the sandbed stirred for me i probably have 25 or so i wouldn recommend stirring the sand because it will release nutrients into the water causing problems imo it takes about a year for a tank to mature and stabalize i do use a calcium reactor it keeps alk at 12 and cal at 420 by far the best investment next to lights but thats it no chemicals sps grow like crazy since adding it

You may not be dosing, by definition, but using a calcium reactor, is basically the same thing as dosing 2-part.

Flreefer said:
You may not be dosing, by definition, but using a calcium reactor, is basically the same thing as dosing 2-part.

Yes i agree i guess that would be considered dosing i think a reactor is easier than a two part once its dialed in it stays on point havn touched it in 3 months and that was just to change co2 but ya no other chemicals no plankton no buffer no magnesium no trace elements no strontium no iodine

danbstrong said:
Yes i agree i guess that would be considered dosing i think a reactor is easier than a two part once its dialed in it stays on point havn touched it in 3 months and that was just to change co2 but ya no other chemicals no plankton no buffer no magnesium no trace elements no strontium no iodine

Yeah, I agree. A reactor is probably a better, more constant situation than dosing 2- part, even dosing daily still has a certain amount of fluctuation. It's the set-up and the cost, that has always scared me away from it.
Besides the Ca and Alk, I run the same as you, no supplemental dosing of anything chemical. I do add live Phyto though, once a week.

Flreefer said:
Yeah, I agree. A reactor is probably a better, more constant situation than dosing 2- part, even dosing daily still has a certain amount of fluctuation. It's the set-up and the cost, that has always scared me away from it.
Besides the Ca and Alk, I run the same as you, no supplemental dosing of anything chemical. I do add live Phyto though, once a week.

I got a good deal on the reactor thats why i got it before i was doseing everyday what type of coral do you keep?

Flreefer said:
Pretty much a full mix, here's a FTS.

Mostly LPS dominated I guess, pic just taken.

Looks nice ya with the lps it would make sense to use the plankton

Tank seemed to like the water change.

Everything looks pretty good!! I love my sponges.

image-779645924.jpg

Not sure what these are (second pic) but they have never been this open!! I'm really pumped!!

image-943966914.jpg

image-3788455750.jpg

image-3625845826.jpg

image-1176259323.jpg

image-2162890865.jpg

image-3405773871.jpg

image-4285239343.jpg

Nice, I know I'm probably 3rd or 4th in line, but if you ever frag that Monti, keep me in mind.

Edited cause of autocorrect

Back
Top Bottom