water changer??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Want to get this straight, so when filling your tank from the sink, just put the dechlorination during the fill up? Or should you do it before or after. When I saw this I was afraid that the chlorine from the sink and tap water would KILL beneficial bacteria. I guess with a canister filter I won't have to worry too much. I am interested in one of these since the tank will be closer to the sink and it is a 75 gallon tank. Rather not have to fill up several 3 to 6 gallon buckets.

Boilerwxman said:
Want to get this straight, so when filling your tank from the sink, just put the dechlorination during the fill up? Or should you do it before or after. When I saw this I was afraid that the chlorine from the sink and tap water would KILL beneficial bacteria. I guess with a canister filter I won't have to worry too much. I am interested in one of these since the tank will be closer to the sink and it is a 75 gallon tank. Rather not have to fill up several 3 to 6 gallon buckets.

I just filled it up from the sink, added my sand, then turned on both of my Fluval fx5's, one of which was on an already cycled tank, so there's all my bacteria, plus I added a bottle of prime just for safe measure :) invest in a water changer, they're amazing!!

When I start filling up the tank is when I add my dose of Prime. My theory is that the currents from the water fill will mix the prime. I use a hob filter and that is unplugged and I leave it unplugged for about 10 minutes or so after the fill. This way I figure the Prime has had time to do it job and by the filter not running it is not filtering chlorinated water.

Back
Top Bottom