Water changes and glass cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CircleOfLinks

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys...

Firstly I'd like to say thanks for everyone's help over the past couple of months.

I have silly question to ask but yesterday I setup my new mini reef with crush corals and matrix (removed the bio balls). My tank has finished cycling and I do have to cromis fish in ATM. What I want to know will it be ok if I clean my tanks gravel and glass from the brown alge that's growing or should I wait a few weeks for my to tank to settle in with the new filtration system?

Im worried if I clean the sand and glass that It may cause ammonia or watever to go back into the water. Is that case or will it be ok to clean it now and do a 15-20% water change?

Incase you need to know I have a 75g tank with a skimmer, total of nearly 9kgs of crushed corals, matrix and pure bio media filter In the sumo, 40-45kg live rock and 2 cromis fish. The tank finished cycling about 2-3 months ago.

PS not sure of the exact name of the fish but pretty sure it was called cromis (a blue pearl coloured fish, looks sort of like a gold gold fish but much nicer and for saltwater) :)

Thanks heaps

-Danny

Yup you are all set to clean the glass. Try buy'n a gobie for one of youre next fish purchases to help clean the sand. I have Three in my 75 gal and the diamond goby is a machine. Never stops sift'n the sand. You have the righ amount of live rock, you should have at least 1 & 1/2 lbs - 2 lbs of live rock per gallon so you're right around where you want to be. And yes they are Chromis. Good luck.

CircleOfLinks said:
Hey guys...

Firstly I'd like to say thanks for everyone's help over the past couple of months.

I have silly question to ask but yesterday I setup my new mini reef with crush corals and matrix (removed the bio balls). My tank has finished cycling and I do have to cromis fish in ATM. What I want to know will it be ok if I clean my tanks gravel and glass from the brown alge that's growing or should I wait a few weeks for my to tank to settle in with the new filtration system?

Im worried if I clean the sand and glass that It may cause ammonia or watever to go back into the water. Is that case or will it be ok to clean it now and do a 15-20% water change?

Incase you need to know I have a 75g tank with a skimmer, total of nearly 9kgs of crushed corals, matrix and pure bio media filter In the sumo, 40-45kg live rock and 2 cromis fish. The tank finished cycling about 2-3 months ago.

PS not sure of the exact name of the fish but pretty sure it was called cromis (a blue pearl coloured fish, looks sort of like a gold gold fish but much nicer and for saltwater) :)

Thanks heaps

-Danny

Yes u can clean ur glass and gravels. As for ammonia being release b into the water. I don't think it's possible since u are cycled

Ok cool thanks guys... Will give it a good clean next couple of days... I was just worried about ammonia getting released back into the water because when I was organising the LR and each time they touch the sand all these 'particles' got released into the water so I thought that could be the droppings and what not from the fish. But thanks I'll it cleaned

-Danny

CircleOfLinks said:
Ok cool thanks guys... Will give it a good clean next couple of days... I was just worried about ammonia getting released back into the water because when I was organising the LR and each time they touch the sand all these 'particles' got released into the water so I thought that could be the droppings and what not from the fish. But thanks I'll it cleaned

-Danny

Have u tried using a python and vacuuming ur gravel? That will take care of ur "particles" problem. Plus ammonia ain't visible to our eyes so those particles ain't ammonia.

Hubert90 said:
Have u tried using a python and vacuuming ur gravel? That will take care of ur "particles" problem. Plus ammonia ain't visible to our eyes so those particles ain't ammonia.

No I havn't but I did just order one and should be receiving it soon.

Also not sure what those particles where but I thought it was ammonia or something not good since it's obvious that it should be there (or kept at minimal)

Can you guys recommend a good CUC? Something that won't have issues with friendly non aggressive fish such as chromis and nemo (clown fish)

Thanks

Depending on the age of the tank you may have nitrates built up in the sand. I always worry about disturbing mine since I did it once and trates went off the charts. I would suggest a light light surface cleaning.

As far as cuc check out reefcleaners. I've gotten all my crews from them and they are dirt cheap and you get a TON.

Hey,,, I've got me so paranoid now about cleaning mine... My sand is soo dirty as is my glass. I was told not to touch it untill the tank finishes cycling which it has now. But im paranoid. What I might do us wait till tr vacuum comes and try and cleaning it carefully aswell as the glass.

That site is dirt cheap but I'm from australia and they don't deliver here :-(

I'm surprised there isn't anything in Australia that would blow our prices out of the water. Consider'n alot of the Anemone's,Coral's and fish I like come from there.

Back
Top Bottom