Water Changes and Water Temperature.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Turn the knob with the H on it? LOL I dont understand the question. Are you talking about the water that you bring home the fish in. If that is the question you float the bag with the fish in it in the aquarium for 20-30 minutes, then usually pour the fish into a net (not putting the water from the bag into the aquarium) then place the fish in the tank (or qt tank if youre using one).

i just use the hose. i dont match the temp. its real easy if you have a python though get the righ temp put it on and fill it up.

I wasn't talking about floating, sorry i didn't word it right. :) I had heard that using hot water from the tap could add a higher amount of metals in the water, such as copper, If your pipes are copper. I live in an apartment, and i have no clue if they use copper pipes. Isn't copper harmful for fish?
Python huh, i am gonna have to look up some info on that product. I have just been using a gallon container, since i only have a 10g tank.

copper harmful to inverts. you wouldnt want hot water but luke warm water. if its just a 10 gallon you can just leave the bucket over night from cold water. it should be close to the tank temp unless the room is really cold.

I had heard that using hot water from the tap could add a higher amount of metals in the water, such as copper, If your pipes are copper....

Actually it is lead from old solder that you need to worry about when using hot water. If your apartment is newer than the 70's you should have no lead in the piping. Copper pipes get coated with use. <They add phosphate (I think) to the water to speed the reaction.> All my old copper pipes have a white coating inside. Anyway, the coating stops the copper from leaching out, so no worries there. Any small amount of lead or copper will be taken care of with a good dechlorinater, so people have reported no problems using hot water from the pipes (even with inverts).

If you are really worried, you could put water in a barrel/bucket & heat it with a heater. <Salties do that , since they have to premix the salt.> But that is way too much work for me!

Back
Top Bottom