Water changes with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dana180

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As some of you read I am doing a fish in cycle (by accident). Anyway I'm off this afternoon to my LFS to pick up a python. When doing water changes should I really disturb the gravel? I know it's most important to give fresh water right now.

Fish in Thursday night. So far all is well. Tank is a bit cloudy.

When I had gravel I cleaned it every pwc. Just take the end of the water changer and stick it down into the gravel and kind of move it around. Repeat till you feel like it's clean.

Water Changes with Fish

Hello Dana...

When I cycled my tank, I just kept track of the water perameters and when toxins started to get out of the "safe zone", I did a large water change to gets things back on track.

I had a lot of plants in the tank, so just removed half the tank water. I avoided vacuuming the gravel for fear of damaging my plants. That was several years ago, but I do recall checking the ammonia and nitrite levels daily and if I needed to, I changed out half the water.

I let the tank run for about a month with the plants and all, but no fish. After a month, I did put in a few Guppies and just tested the water daily and did the large water changes as needed. I think the process took about six weeks or so.

Haven't used a "Python". Thought they were a waste of water when you were draining the tank. Not sure how you'd get the hang of treating the water going into the tank, since the water from the tap is going directly into the tank.

B

When using a Python, you would add the dechlorinator to the tank after draining and add the amount for the entire tank, not just the water you are replacing (dosing should be on the bottle).

Also I think yes you do want to suck up waste, etc from the substrate as those things can decay and add to your ammonia which you don't want to do while the tank is cycling.

Back
Top Bottom