Water Changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swampman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I would like to know how you change water in your aquarium. I take out 8gals. in my 39gal and 6 gal from my 29gal. WhenI add the fresh water to the tank I put in the chorine killer with every bucket. On the bottle it will say 5ml/40gal. or 1 capful for 40 gal. I am only changing 6-8 gals of water. depending on the tank. I have an eyedropper I can put in 1 -2 ml per bucket but it doesn't seem like enough. I had one suggestion to just put in untreated water in the tank and add the chorine killer right to the tank. But I thought the fish will die with just fresh water. How does the expert fish keepers go about this task? Thanks:thanks:

I treat the water in the bucket then add it to the tank. I have a 10g and 3g so one bucket is enough for both for a PWC (the bucket I use is a 3g).

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can do it either way, put it directly in the tank as you fill or right before, I use a python so I have to do it that way, fish have no problem with it :)

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yep i remove water from my tank. Dose the tank with chlorine remover for the amount of water you are about to add. I play it safe and dose for the whole tank volume. Then refill straight with untreated water

5ml per 10 gallons so I add 5 caps and a half for my 60

5ml per 10 gallons so I add 5 caps and a half for my 60

The dosage for Prime is only 1ml per 10 gallons. You are wasting a lot of Prime.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The dosage for Prime is only 1ml per 10 gallons. You are wasting a lot of Prime.

+1

I save even more by dosing the bucket before adding on my smaller tanks.

Caleb

I use start right and have been using it ever since, so your saying don't do 5ml as it says on the bottle? Maybe mine isn't as potent as prime

If i dont treat to tank volume, i usually double dose my 5gl water jugs w/ prime.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

i treat the water in the bucket with amquel plus and novaqua i mever treated the whole tank and never had a problem,IMO treating the whole tank every time you do a water change is wasting water conditioner.but that is just my opinion.

i treat the water in the bucket with amquel plus and novaqua i mever treated the whole tank and never had a problem,IMO treating the whole tank every time you do a water change is wasting water conditioner.but that is just my opinion.

If using buckets yes it is a waste. If refilling with a hose then there's not really a way around it.

Caleb

If using buckets yes it is a waste. If refilling with a hose then there's not really a way around it.

Caleb

you're right if you refilling with a hose you have to play safe and treat the whole tank...

I have been using a product from Home Grown ponics. It is D-Klor It is a natural dechlorinator with vitamin C.. 1tsp each 10 gal. If you are into Hydroponics or Aquaponics it is safe to use for that reason.

Back
Top Bottom