Water changes.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey17

Aquarium Advice Freak
I did a test and found out i had 0.25 of nitrite. How much of a water change should i do? Anything else i should do?

are you in the mists of your cycle?
that is low nitrite for cycling.. youll likely need it.. when was the last time you changed the water? do you have any NH3?

I didnt make myself clear I guess.. dont change the water yet.. unless you have high NH3.. that NO2 level is fine..

It's a 30 gallon with a bumble goby, a dragon goby and some swordtails.

Not sure about the ammonia it was cycled a long time ago. I used Zebra danios in the begining which i still have in there by the way.

I have no idea. You're talking to a begginerhere :p. I just did what i researched . But i don't know what caused the nitrite. I heard that it should be 0 is that right?

The test kit for the nitrite is called aquarium pharmaceuticals, inc nitrite test kit.

I added 2 zebra danios when i started. I dont think i fed them too much just a few flakes and they ate them fast.

The test kit for the nitrite is called aquarium pharmaceuticals, inc nitrite test kit.

Joey17, What about the others (Ammonia, Nitrate)? I'm more concerened about the ammonia level. You have a good test kit, just get the other reagents by aquarium pharmaceuticlas and post the results and we can help you out.

Did you add anything new recently? Did you change the filter media recently?

If you added new fish, that could cause a "mini cycle and a bacterial bloom." becuase usually the bacteria will keep up with the current bioload and if you add something it has to play "catch up" although ive added one or two fish without problems, I added 8 fish at once and had a mini cycle with amonia at .25 for a couple days then nitrite at .25 for a couple days, then everything went back to normal.. oh adn it got a little cloudy too. (thats how i new it was a bacterial bloom)

Also, if you change your filter media, you are doing the same thing, you are taking out the colinized bacteria, which is why i like the aquaclear, i only take one part out at a time. What kind of filter do you have? Have you changed it? we need more info :)

Back
Top Bottom