Water cloudy as hell!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nycfatcow

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 12G has been running for like 3-4 days... water is white...literally looks like a cloud is in it...im using flourite substrate....and a piece of drift wood i had in there was growing some white slimly fuzzy fungus? so i took that out and changed the water...but i woke up this morning and its still muggy looking... any suggestiuons why?

Sounds like a bacterial cloud--they're usually white. Makes sense if it's a new tank (I assume you're cycling it somehow?) It should clear up on its own.

That fungus on the wood is harmless. It will go away when it consumes its food supply. A good boil may kill it.

Edited to resemble some legible form of the English language.

its really nasty though makes the water turn really white... i took it out alrdy... i think it should help it clear up a bit quicker

I'd leave the driftwood in. You will eventually get that white fuzz back on the wood until it fills with bacteria. Mine had it for about a month then it went away on it's own. It's very common on sterile wood but goes away. The white cloud is a baterial bloom, it will also go away on its own.

There's really no need to spend money on these types of products. With a little patience the cloudiness should go away on its own. I don't add any chemicals to my tanks other than dechlorinator... I just don't trust them, and even if they don't harm anything they are just band-aid solutions that don't help the root of the problem.

I agree with Rich and Sev. Don't waste your money. 75% of the time it doesn't work anyway and actually makes it worse. The other 25% of the time it masks the problem temporarily. It will work itself out.

i definately agree with you guys... but im leaving for vacation in 2 days... i would like to see the problem go away a little quicker for the time being... I dont want to come home and all the plants are dead...

By the time you get home the cloudiness will be gone. It'll make it go faster since you won't be around to stare at it.

My wifes' 10g tank was cloudy for 3-4 days once she set it up. Cleared up after about 2 days or so.

I just took it as the tank was cycling, I kept reading articles about cycling tanks mentioning cloudy water..

That clarifier doesn't last too long IF it will even work for you. When I got my first tank we used tons of that stuff. It only made it worse. I left on a business trip for 4 days and when I came home it was crystal clear. If you are going to be gone, why does it matter if it's cloudy?

My tank was cloudy a day or two ago. I woke up this morning and it was literally crystal clear. The wise people on here told me to wait, and I did. So waiting does work.

I kept asking my husband, what did you do to my tank to make it clear? Pestered him for DAYS about it. He kept saying that it just went away on it's own. He woke up one morning, turned on the light, and BAM crystal clear.

Back
Top Bottom