Water Cycle Help Needed, First SW Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lilfirefly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi...I got a testing kit...drove 45 miles to get one and the one they had didnt test for nitrate..but I have the strip (i know, but better than nothin)It does test ammonia and nitrite though. Sooo My tank(45H) is still just live sand, marco rock 50lb, and live fiji10lb, and no living creature but my darn aiptasia. (a whole nother topic) I tested the ammonia and the nitrite this morning and got
Ammonia 3.0
Nitrite 0.3
Nitrate 20

The ammonia is really between the 1.5 and 3.0 but closer to the 3.0
I raised the temp to 80 and have not changed the salinity which reads at 1.024
Did not put the shrimp in until I could really read the ammonia, my strip kit didnt have it.
Now what...I have not done a water change and need to know if you have any suggestions or advice where to go, now that I have more exact testing. Been running 12 days with sand, 10 days with Marco rock and 5 days with live rock added. Thanks so much..Stacy

Do a water change, you may want to add a tiny bit more LR, and throw in a pump for circulation if you dont already have one, and what kind of filter do you have?

I have no access to more LR...I have a bak-pak II protein skimmer running that does have a powerhead and filter system. How much water should I change. 20%??

20% is good, if your skimmer has carbon or something then you probably should change it

my skimmer has a biobale and the media is kind of old so I left it in. I am off to do a water change I guess.

I did a 20 % water change...will test water later tonight. Anyone else out there, I sure would appreciate any advice you may have, ok..off to sculpt (my other hobby):rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom