Water Hardness & pH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trombonier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I tested my tap water and it came up as 8.4 pH and really hard water. However, my tank (filed with the same tap water) is coming to 6.8 pH and very soft water.

I had 6 African Cichlids and they were just sitting at the bottom of the tank without moving or eating. So I added a little baking soda mixed in a jar with the same aquarium water. A little every 6 hours. Then they started becoming more active.

So my question is WHY is my aquarium water so much softer than my tap water?

Thank you guys in advance.

Set some of your water aside in a bucket for 24 hours to 'out gas' and then test it again.
That will give you real ph.
Then if it is still lower in tank something is buffing it down like wood or the substrate.
Baking soda is a bad idea as it may just allow the water to bounce around IMO. Your KH reading will tell how strong of a hold your water has on the Ph.
If you must buff the water up you want crushed coral to do it naturally.
Africans aside for most it better to not have to adjust your water as it will always be a sore spot from then on IMO.
I only prepare water for breeding certain fish. As soon as I can get the fry in my tap water they go there.

Back
Top Bottom