water in glass diffuser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My co2 bottle is producing a lot of bottles but the diffuser isn't making any bubbles but there is water in the glass diffuser. Could that be the problem? How do I get the water out?

The diffusor is supposed to have water in it. It sounds like there is a leak or 100% dissolution.

Agreed, there is a leak somewhere. There is not enough pressure building to push the co2 through the ceramic disc. Use some soapy water and a pastry or paint brush and spread it on your connections. They will bubble if there is a leak. Often times DIY systems just do not have enough pressure to use a ceramic/glass diffuser, unless it is a very small diffuser.

I don't think theres a leak and what do you mean dissolution?

There isn't a leak cause this has happened before. I had to replace the co2 but that was this morning and it was working fine before I replaced it

Well, if the reactor is producing CO2 at a decent rate, and none is coming out of the diffuser, than there is definitely a leak somewhere... more likely if there is not a leak, it just means the reactor can't produce enough pressure to squeeze it out the disc.

I've never had any problems of it not building enough pressure. Maybe there is a leak. Could it be my stop check?

Most definitely. Is it plastic? CO2 is corrosive, so plastic check valves where over time and have to be replaced when used in a co2 system. I would try the soapy water test. That is the fastest way to discover leaks. It makes even a minor leak very obvious. Just put some water in a glass with a few drops of dish soap, and paint it on.

I think so? Does that mean I have to replace it? And I didn't quite understand the dish soap part, I'm sorry if I'm making this hard:/

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110627_221203.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110627_221203.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 96
put a couple of drops of dish soap in a juice glass. Fill it with water. Use a pastry brush, or a paint brush, and "paint" the soapy water onto all the connections... both ends of the check valve, the cap of the reactor, the cap of the gas separator if you have one, etc. If there is a leak, the soap in the water will cause it to "blow" big bubbles. If there is no leak, there will be no bubbles.

With the check valve, I would replace it anyway, just to be sure it isn't the issue. Easy thing to try for less than a buck.

I'll do it quick and let you know. And is there a check valve that I can get without having to replace it or will I have to keep replacing it?

Okay so I'm pretty sure the check valve seems to be the problem. There seems to be gunk in it

That would be floccuated yeast, especially if you aren't running a gas separator. Try replacing it and it will probably fix the problem.

I agree but yeah I definitely think that's the prob. I'll replace it tomorrow morning and it should be running smooth right after:)

great! Let us know. Good luck. If that is it, at least it's an easy fix! :)

Right Haha and thank you for the help, sucks all these good bubbles and co2 is just wasting for now:/ oh and btw, I got my drop checker in today and have it setup but as you already know no co2 Haha do I leave it in or take it out? Also is there gonna be a time where I dump it and replace it again?

You can leave it. It wont hurt anything.

I replace the drop checker fluid about every 6 weeks. The bromothymol blue indicating solution fades over time.

Okay but ahhh so much bubbles in the bottle:( but anyways that's it, thanks for your help and time:)

Back
Top Bottom