Water in Vancouver, BC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermazz9

Aquarium Advice Activist
As anyone in Vancouver is aware, we're under a water warning right now. I was planning on doing a water change tomorow, but I suppose I should hold off.

Is this a good idea?

I guess I could always go and get some RO water from some shop nearby...

what kind of water warning? with all the rain and snow you guys get you would think there wouldnt be any kind of shortage :D

-Pleco

They had a major storm that knocked out power & water treatment plant, so there is a boil water warning .... plus the tap water looks like mud (at least on TV).

At least accoring to CBC, the water warning is just due to turbidity, and there is supposedly no nasties in the water. If that is really true, then I would think that it would be OK to use after some kind of filtering.

OTOH, with the water treatment plant out of wack, your water chemistry might well be off, and there is always a chance of something anyway. It might be safer to wait a few days till they sort things out ... with a big tank, you can probably skip a pwc without too much problems ..... and I can't imagine them taking too long to get things back to normal in Vancouver!

Just to clarify...

Yes, there was a bit of a storm here. There was a water warning and power outages. To the best of my knowledge, water treatment facilities did not go offline, just their effectivenss was greatly reduced.

What that caused was a lot of turbidity in our water, which in turn greatly diminishes the ability of water treatment (parasites and bad stuff galour, which would normally be killed off by treatment, are now given places to hide, namely little bits of clay and dirt and whathaveyou that got all mixed on with the water from the storm.)

Now, are water is "clean" of things that will keep you pooing all night (who doesn't love beaver fever?!?!), but it is still less than clear.

Do you have any friends in any of the suburban areas like Surrey? The water is considered safe in most of the suburban areas, but I'd recommend using extra chlorine remover though.

I'd suggest bring a big pail and getting some water from them or even some Surrey parks and rest stops or something like that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom