Water problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urthlvr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Over a year ago I won a 75 gal tank with a Marineland canister filter. Unfortunately, not long after I got it installed, the store had a fire so I couldn't go to them for help. They have rebuilt so I have a good place for supplies again.

It had been about 7 years since I'd had a tank and I used a bio-wheel on my old 29 gal with no problems. I'd never used a canister before this tank.

For almost a year now I have been fighting green water. I've done water changes, I've added anti-algae stuff, I've added Stability. I've done water testing, hard water, high ammonia. I've added Ammo-lock, put carbon/zorb in the canister, reduced feedings. I've even left it alone for 2 months to "let it stabilize" all for green water and high ammonia. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I've started to wonder if my problem isn't inside the canister. First layer is foam, then bio-balls, then ceramic things and top is the carbon or carbon/zorb bags.

The bio-balls really confuse me. I understand that they provide surface for the beneficial microbes, but do they need something inside (I've seen a few pics), some pages say they aren't good for inside a canister, other do.

Thanks

Hi there A few things that will help reduce your green water.
RO water ,UV unit. And maybe some active carbon which needs to be changed on a regular basis to work.
As for your external filter from my own experience I would ditch the bio balls and use chemical rings instead which will get rid of your ammonia once it cycled and will keep good bacteria in your system also keep some floss and sponges in your external to help your water and help keep it clean which also needs to be cleaned on a regular basis and don't forget with The chemical rings only clean them with the water you take out of your tank as tapwater will kill the good bacteria in the rings and then you would have to start the cycle again. Good luck[emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ceramic rings I got with the canister always looked very smooth to me. When I googled chemical rings I saw ceramic media but a lot more porous. As I said, canisters are a new things for me, by taking out the bio-balls should I replace them with a more porous media?

I have started going to the pet store for their fish water. It is slow going hauling the water though.

Thanks for your help.

Out of interest on the green water - what sort of light are you using / how long and is the tank getting any natural sunlight? Lighting would be one to look at for green water.

Also do you happen to be feeding flake food?

Often you could have high phosphates from the type of food and over feeding. With a old light bulb and long lights on time, you might just have an algae factory going there!

Have you checked your tap water for phosphates?

Do you have live plants?

When you clean the canister filter do you rinse the bio balls by sloshing in some pwc water?

I would try Hikari foods freeze dried (soak first) in combination with, or pellets /wafers. Whichever kinds and sizes are suited for your fish.

Also as for the over feeding, I was told to think of the fishes eye size like the amount of food he needs to eat, 1-2x per day depending on if they are babies (more often) or type of fish - high energy like Danios 2x or almost never move... Also one day per week (or 10 days) they can have a fast - no extra food.

I still tend to over feed (try not to) but always had problems when I used the flaked food, not with the other.

Last edited:
Filter with UV bulb will end green water. Failing that, simply adding some live plants, fast growing stem plant or floating plants should do the trick.

Keep up with water changes and cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There is 1 window on the same wall about 5-6 ft away so it doesn't get any direct sunlight. I have led lights that have white and blue lights. Last night I set it to blue light am until about mid morning, then white light. The light will be on for about 13 hrs total for both blue and white.

I used to have plants, but they disappeared when the tank turned green. I don't mean that literally, but they all died.

I have not checked the tap for phosphates. I suspected my source of water might be a problem and recently started getting water from the pet store.

I don't think I've been over feeding and I will skip a day to keep the amount of food down. Funny thing is I know my daughter over feeds her fish and that little 6 gal is so clear and pretty.

I tend to use fresh water to clean the foam, but don't do much with the bio balls or ceramic disks. The foam is very full of crud when I do this.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look into them. Easiest place to start will be getting plants tonight after work.

There is 1 window on the same wall about 5-6 ft away so it doesn't get any direct sunlight. I have led lights that have white and blue lights. Last night I set it to blue light am until about mid morning, then white light. The light will be on for about 13 hrs total for both blue and white.

I used to have plants, but they disappeared when the tank turned green. I don't mean that literally, but they all died.

I have not checked the tap for phosphates. I suspected my source of water might be a problem and recently started getting water from the pet store.

I don't think I've been over feeding and I will skip a day to keep the amount of food down. Funny thing is I know my daughter over feeds her fish and that little 6 gal is so clear and pretty.

I tend to use fresh water to clean the foam, but don't do much with the bio balls or ceramic disks. The foam is very full of crud when I do this.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look into them. Easiest place to start will be getting plants tonight after work.

If you put the plants in to green water they will most likely die. Do enough water changes to remove most the green water and make sure you get some fast growing stem plants or floating plants. The stems may do better floating too. Anacharis might be a good one but you may need a lot of them.

Good luck

Edit: get some good water movement and reduce the lighting to 8 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your advice. I went to check out the UV filter and ended up buying a new canister filter with a uv bulb built in. After 24 hrs I can see a about 1 in. into the tank, where before I couldn't even see that much.

Once the new filter settles in, I'll go add some live plants.

Back
Top Bottom