Water quality in Angelfish fry tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katelyn7014

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I changed the water every day in the tank I would let the water sit for a day with the Nutrafin tap water conditioner and Nutrafin Cycle in it. That was fine, water quality was fine.... But yesterday when I did it there were all these flaky fragments in the distilled water. I noticed the Cycle had some flakes in it so I assumed it was from that, since it was the end of the bottle. So I bought a new bottle and just used it today... and again, there were flakes, and now the water is a little bit cloudy.

I don't understand WHY. The water was changed an hour and still cloudy, so I changed it again. I don't think it helped any. I'm just wondering if someone can help me out on something I can do to help this issue... It never started until now, and that's been my routine for 3 weeks so far. Can anybody help? :confused:

It sounds like something percipitated causing the specs/ flakes. It's possible the distilled water's source needs to be cleaned.
You shouldn't be needing both tap water conditioner and cycle. I would just use the conditioner. The tank will cycle on it's own and the use of water changes in fry tanks tends to keep ammonia from reaching any kind of dangerous levels anyway. If you are concerned or having ammonia issues, I would suggest using Seachem's PRIME instead of the conditioner. PRIME will detoxify any ammonia so it will become a non issue and shouldn't harm the fry. If your water's PH is below 6.5, the ammonia is already in a state where it is non toxic (ammonium) so again, it's a non issue. As for the cloudy water now, if the fry are not having any adverse reaction to it, I would just leave it be. The flakes will eventually get to the sponge filter ( I am assuming you are using one with fry ;) ) or will fall to the bottom and you will be cleaning it out with every water change.

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom