Water Testing Kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follicle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I inherited my 55 gallon tank from my father, and I let it go for awhile without paying much attention to it. Well, now I'm obsessed and I need to start taking better care of it. I've been doing bi-weekly water changes, keeping up with filters, and making sure the lights are on for the appropriate amount of time.

After reading a few books, I really need to begin testing my water. Problem is, there are so many tests that I'm kind of at a loss for what to get.

Here's what I'm looking for (Tests only, no conditioners – I'll worry about that when the time comes):

• A PH testing kit
  • A test for Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ammonia
  • A test for water hardness
  • And... anything else anyone would recommend
I've seen so many different kits online and in-store and I'm just really confused! I'm looking for some tests that I can do weekly or bi-weekly. Any recommendations on brands or actually kits?

Also, I'm really tight on money, so I'll probably have to get one test at a time, weekly. Any recommendations for which test I should get first? I'm assuming the Nitrate/Nitrite/Ammonia test is the most vital.

Thanks for your replies!

Most use the API freshwater master test kit.
Freshwater Master Test Kit
It has pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
costs about $20-$24 at most places.
Stay away from the test strips for the most part. They are not as accurate.

I recommend the API master test kit (make sure it is the frshwater one)
It includes test for amonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH and high PH.

Wow. Looks perfect. Thanks a lot for the advice!

I'm pretty certain our water hardness is all right. We have really hard water out where I live, but we have a water softener.

API makes a good KH test kit and GH kit also. If you're not that worried, just take your water to an LFS and they should be able to test your hardness for you. I suggest taking a sample from your tank before a water change, and then a sample straight from the tap at the same time, and having them both tested. What this will tell you is a) what the KH buffering capacity of your TAP water is, and b) what's happening to that buffer in your tank over time. I've found that you can encounter pH problems if you don't have an adequate buffer, but that all depends on what type of fish you are keeping.

i bought a API 5 in 1 strip test kit for about £7 which gave me reading saying my water was good in all aspects luckily for me i went to my LFS and got them to test my water and they used the API liquid tester n the results were showing my water was very poor and the fish should of been dead so the API strip tests do give false readings,so why they sell em is my arguement as it states true accurate reading on the box, but the LFS said the fish had more than likely adapted to the poor water conditions, so hence to say i spent £27 on a API liquid tester now i have peace of mind whenever i test my tank water parimeters, DO YOURSELF AND YOUR FISH A FAVOUR DONT BUY ANTHING ELSE BUT THE (API LIQUID TESTER)

Back
Top Bottom