Water testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

latashalaine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gal tank and the only thing i have done to it is add water from a friends tank. There are no fish or plants yet. I will be taking water to the lfs tomorrow to test and I was wondering what to expect or what the readings need to be. I am thinking about buying 2 guppies tomorrow and gonna try a fish in cycle. I will be dedicated to doing water changes 2x per week of at least 50%. My 3yr old is dying to see fish in his tank. Does this sound like a good plan?

The best way to test you water is the API master test kit while you are doing a cycle you really need to keep an eye on your ammonia nitrite and nitrate. it costs about $30 but will contain about 800 tests. That way you will not have tou run to your local LFS twice a week since i see you live in the sticks.

If you do a fish in cycle be prepared to do water changes everyday (if not daily!). If you want to do a fish in cycle I recommend only getting one fish, if you want guppies they are a good fish to cycle with. Again just get one to help control ammonia levels. Just remember anytime ammonia gets to .25 time for a water change. And really think about investing in an API test kit. You can order them online (I got mine of amazon for around $20).

Ok. Thank you guys so much. I ended up getting 2 sunset plattys today. I have the API test kit on the way and should be here tomorrow, but I just checked the order and it didn't include ammonia tests. I guess I should order those now. I can do daily changes…how much should the changes be until I can get my tests to know for sure, maybe 50%?

note: I ordered the liquid api master kit and it will be here Jan 2nd

The liquid API test should have the ammonia test included. Platys are messy fish. To be on the safe side I'd do a daily water change of 50% or so until the test kit comes in.

what fish would you suggest to add in. I was initially thinking more platys. can I add 2 more fish in a week?

If you are fish in cycling your 10g stick with the 2 platys until your cycled. I cycled my 10 with 2 plays as well, there were days I did multiple changes in one day, I couldn't imagine having more than 2 platys while cycling.

If you are fish in cycling your 10g stick with the 2 platys until your cycled. I cycled my 10 with 2 plays as well, there were days I did multiple changes in one day, I couldn't imagine having more than 2 platys while cycling.

Ok. Sticking with my 2 Platys until fully cycled. I just did a 50-60% change and plan on another tonight. They were so happy and playful once I finished! HAPPY! The cycle would be considered done after around 2-3 months and a 0 ammonia and nitrite reading and >40ppm nitrate, right?

Ok. Sticking with my 2 Platys until fully cycled. I just did a 50-60% change and plan on another tonight. They were so happy and playful once I finished! HAPPY! The cycle would be considered done after around 2-3 months and a 0 ammonia and nitrite reading and >40ppm nitrate, right?

There's no set time frame for a cycle, mine took about 2 1/2 months, and those are the reading you will have once cycled :) the readings are what you go by to determine if you are cycled not a time frame. Once you are cycled and decide to add more fish, add them SLOWLY and in small quantities. With a fish in cycle you only build up enough BB for the bioload you have in your tank during cycling. Keep testing your water after adding new fish, wait a few weeks to give your BB time to adjust to your new bioload.

messy fish=better filter?

The liquid API test should have the ammonia test included. Platys are messy fish. To be on the safe side I'd do a daily water change of 50% or so until the test kit comes in.

All I have is the standard issued filter that came with the tank. Should I double filters or get a higher grade? since platys can be messy? (my tank just started cycling yesterday when I added the fish)

All I have is the standard issued filter that came with the tank. Should I double filters or get a higher grade? since platys can be messy? (my tank just started cycling yesterday when I added the fish)

It's not a must do type thing but it is beneficial. It's recommended here to have double the amount of filtration for your tank size. On my 30g I have an aqueon quiet flow 30 and an aqua tech 30-60. It having more filtration does help with water quality.

So in your case if you could manage to fit a 20g filter on your 10g that would take care of double the filtration.

Back
Top Bottom