Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It could be several things. To help you diagnose your problem if you could provide us withe the following it would be really helpful.

Tank Size:
Filter:
Water parameters: (such as ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates, and pH)
Also how long has the tank been running and what kind of fish are in it?

Tank: 3 gallons
Filter: under gravel filter
And sorry I don't have any test strips at this time but I am getting some tomorrow.
And I have a figure 8 puffer fish

Have you heard of the nitrogen cycle before? My guess would be that is what you are experiencing, and it can be quite harmful to your fish. What is happening is that your fish waste and un-eaten food is being converted into ammonia, nitrites, and then finally nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites are really harmful to fish, so when you do get you test kit *most people swear by the liquid ones, instead of strips* be sure to keep a close eye on your levels. If your ammo is above .25 then you should do a partial water change.

Hope I didn't overwhelm you with this information. Also I believe that your tank is a little on the small side for that fish.

Welcome to AA by the way.

Mojo3251 said:
Tank: 3 gallons
Filter: under gravel filter
And sorry I don't have any test strips at this time but I am getting some tomorrow.
And I have a figure 8 puffer fish

Three gallons is too small, I'd say twenty is good for just one figure eight. I would recommend liquid test kits, theyre much more accurate and though a bit pricey worth the money. Have you ever heard of cycling a tank?

Back
Top Bottom