Weird Fantail behaviour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pieterse L

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone I've been having some trouble with my fantails I had two of them. They have been thriving for months but a few days ago one suddenly died and his location of death was next to the filter in a corner the gap is quite big so he definitely wasn't stuck. The other fantail from then on seemed very interested in the same corner never leaving the spot his friend died. I did a partial water change and tried to save a fantail from the local petshop which was in very bad shape 2 days later the new fish died which was expected as he was in very bad shape but the other fantail went crazy this morning after I removed the new fish and he eventually commuted suicide ontop of the filter which blew his swim bladder. What is going on? Thanks

More details on the tank and its inhabitants please.

What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of*gph*if known.

How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?

When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?

How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?

Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?

What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?

I highly doubt that a fish has sufficient brain function to deliberately kill itself because it misses its pal. They might get stressed about it which causes other issues and they die of those other causes, but your fish didn't commit suicide. It has no concept of death or killing itself. Fish function on instinct, if it jumped onto the filter or whatever it did it was probably doing this for a reason.

What could be happening is poor quality or some other issue with the tank. Perhaps it was hanging round the filter because the water was cleaner there. Poor water quality is a common cause of fish jumping. They dont know there is no water on the other side of the glass and are just trying to find somewhere they think might be better to live.

Back
Top Bottom