Well i have nothing to do sooo......Why do...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imrandome1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, i'm really bored so i was just looking at my tanks and did a water change and then as i was adding new water back in, i thought why do so people leave a gap between the water and hood and some people don't, personally i dont' but that's because i like to have as much water in that tanks as possible so the little fish can swim around more.

So what do you do leave a gap or fill the tank past the hood level? Btw i am away that this is random. LOL :)

Actually I guess its to leave a bit of air on top.

I don't either. I fill it all the way to the top, leaving like a 1/4 of inch between the hood and water.
It reduces evaporation or it seems like that. But I get algea build up on the hood because of the air bubbles expolding on the surface, and throwing water up on the hood.

Who knows...

~Mp

I keep my water level so I don't see a waterline in the glass. Like rich said, it bugs me, lol. But I don't like filling it full-full. I leave it down enough to where if I need to do maintenance and stick my arm in to do something, it doesn't overflow over the side of the tank.

I fill mine just so I can't see the line as well. It is kind of funny because if it evaporates and drops below the trim I get all upset because I swear the water line is a smidge lower on the right side. My girlfriend tells me I am crazy and it's not. Maybe I am obsessed?

Maybe some people are concerned with O2 not realizing that you don't need a waterfall.

i fill mine to the max fill line which is above them rim of the hood so i don't see the water line.

I do it just past the trim for a couple reasons, ones for the apearence, ones so I don't have to hear water splashing back in the tank from the filter ( makes me wanna pee lol ) and last I try to get as much fresh water in as possible

I too fill my tank above the trim line, but low enough that I can fix any stray plants without flooding the floor.

The only time I leave the water low is if I need to do a water change in a day or 2 anyway, so why bother filling it up to take it out again... And it bugs me too, so I do the water change...

on my african clawed frog tank i leave about a 3 inch gap between the top of the water and the hood (makes it harder her her to escape!)

other tank i fill to a little above the bottom of the trim.

Well, I'll be the lone voice of keeping it below the rim. On my 29, I have a whisper internal filter and I have keep the water level below the lip of it...which naturally sits lower in the tank. I hate it though...it's noisy and obnoxious looking, and once I get my 55 completely finished out I might redirect to funds to buying a glass top for the 29 and changing out the Whisper internal for another HOB.

on my african clawed frog tank i leave about a 3 inch gap between the top of the water and the hood (makes it harder her her to escape!)

lol i can see that in my head lol, seems that every1 has there own personal reason but mostly the sight of water seems to be enough for people to fill it to the max lol, keep them coming people i wont to now....(i really am bored lol)

I actually like the sound the water makes when it spills out of the filter and splashes into the tank, so I leave mine about and Inch below the black rim.

Just below the plastic lip (on the inside), which is definitely above the beginning of the black plastic. I don't like overflowing it by putting an arm in there, and I don't like hearing the filter "waterfall" into the tank.

I keep mine above the lower lip of my HOB filter, so it doesn't waterfall into the tank. It's silent. This also makes the level above the wood trim of the tank, so you can't see the waterline. It works well for my tastes!

No waterfall for me, not much noise at all in fact. I keep it at or slightly below the rim for several reasons:
-bettas breath at the surface so I like to give them more room for oxygen
-the goldfish like to thrash about when they eat at the surface, thus splashing water
-I am always sticking my hands in there to clean or feed the moor so I don't want an overflow

I like to fill mine up so that if one of the fish fart it overflows. LOL

No seriously, for tanks without a sump its above the trim so no water line is visible. I too have had the problem of a crooked water line and it bugs me to no end. :)

Back
Top Bottom