well(tap)water full of nitrates... best option for WC?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marsh

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I live in an agricultural valley (Watsonville CA) and my well water recently tested 60-80ppm for nitrates.

I have to do WC's on 2 tanks and want to know if store bought RODI is ok to use

I prefer this to 1-2 gallon drinking water (spring, distilled etc) for the price but need to know what the risks are (have a couple 5gal jugs that cost $1.25 to fill)

I would do 25% tap, 75% RO. If your tank is heavily planted, nitrates probably won't be an issue.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

is there anything wrong with using pure RODI for a WC?

It's needs to be properly reconstituted as pure RO lacks buffers, minerals and trace elements necessary for the health of your fish, your beneficial bacteria and the stability of your tank.

What does "properly reconstituted" mean/entail?

It's needs to be properly reconstituted as pure RO lacks buffers, minerals and trace elements necessary for the health of your fish, your beneficial bacteria and the stability of your tank.

:thanks: schoeplein -

Reconstituted meaning nutrients added back to the water. RODI water strips everything out, which isn't a good thing for fresh water tanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your Water

Hello marsh...

Here's an option. Don't do anything, but treat the water to remove chlorine and chloramine, just like the rest of us. The nitrates aren't a problem if you use some floating plants that take in nitrates through their leaves. Anacharis or Common water weed is perfect. It uses nitrates just as fast as they become available. You may have to thin it every week or two like I do, but the plant keeps the water chemistry very stable.

Large, weekly water changes of roughly half the tank's volume will do wonders to steady the chemistry of the tank water. The fish will adapt. Aquarium fish have been doing this for decades.

Don't sweat the small stuff!

B

Thank you BBradbury!! I only have anubias and cryptocoryne, although there are quite a few of these. I will grab some anacharis next time I visit a lfs.

My tank is over stocked unfortunately as I was recently given two 4" clown loaches, so I will up the volume of my weekly WC's and try adding anacharis

chem pure will absorb a bunch of the nitrates , but you may need to regenerate it monthly instead of every 4-6 months

I've been useing RO water for my 45 gal tank for almost three years. I fill my containers at Walmart for 37 cents a gal. My lfs told me to add a scant half capful of Replenish to each of my 4 gal containers. This replaces the minerals. I also add a few drops of Prime to each container to ensure there is no chlorine in the water. My tank water is very clear and I rarely lose a fish. I do use tap water for replacing evaporated water.

Back
Top Bottom