Well, us US ppl *could* still use www.petsandponds.com!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madasafish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hrm... Menagerie rudely :wink: removed this thread about www.petsandponds.com/securestore to the Canadian forum where many of us cannot access it!

However, I have decided that I'll resist this anti-USAism and start a new thread here so that anybody who wants to can still talk about it.

I'll start out!

I compared prices on their Coralife ballasts. Not cheaper than Bigals for us US ppl. In fact, it seems that the prices are generally lower for Canadians, but that USA ppl do not get the same discount they do at Bigals. Bigals prices their merchandise on a set scale (favorable to US ppl) that functions externally to the current exchange rates, which is why their products are often a lot cheaper for US ppl than for Canadians.

So, all in all, unless the Canadian dollar gets stronger, www.petsandponds.com is not any significant improvement upon the prices of Bigals.com for US ppl, though it may well be for Canadians.

If I'm misinterpreting the system of currency exchange on petsandponds, I apologize. However, the site does not explicitly state its policy on currency exchange for US customers.

Just my 2 Abe Lincolns.

Well!
When it was originally posted only Canadians responded, so I moved it :wink:

For fun, since I'm looking at the Elite 801 air pump; here's the price break down:
Big Al's
$13.99 CAD
$5.99 USD

Pets and Ponds
$9.59 CAD
$7.31 USD (using XE.com to convert, since Pets and Ponds does not have US prices)

Stress coat:
Big Al's
16oz $14.99 CAD
16oz $4.69 USD

Pets and Ponds
480ml $10.39 CAD
480ml $7.90 USD

16oz = 473.18ml
480ml = 16.23oz

Big Al's has a large mark up for Canadians--when the CAD was weaker, it might have been more accurate, but when 1 CAD = 0.760707 USD Big Al's is making quite a profit!! As far as prices between the two companies~as usually, you'll save if you shop around!

Something wrong with the stresscoat and Elite 801 air pump calculations, there, Meghan.

Yep, we definitely seem to agree on the fact that Bigals is much less beneficial for Canadians than it is for US ppl.

Something wrong with the stresscoat and Elite 801 air pump calculations, there, Meghan.
My calculations or the fact Big Al's way over compensates for the exchange rate? I need a smiley face to understand your tone :roll: Once again, I am RRWT (reading and responding while tired).

LOL. My tone was playful, but I was misinterpreting your remarks. Sorry! :oops:

Oy!

I understand now...

Back
Top Bottom