Well water safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itschromesteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Dont know if any one on here will be able to help with this, but ill give it a shot. The house im renting has terrible well water. It leaves rust stains on everything it touches shower, toilet, sink, you name it. I have been curious though about using it in an aquarium. I tested it when i moved in out of curiosity ph around 8 no ammonia. If i boil it and use it in a planted tank will the plants absorb the heavy minerals in the hard water? Will it be safe or is it better not to risk it?

Plants, bacteria and livestock could use up some of the nutrients, but heavy metals and hard minerals could be an issue ... Never know with well water.
Since your in FL .. I'd say the bedrock in your area is probably limestone / carbonates ... So it'll be hard water.

How are you doing PWC's? You could try a 50 -50 tap and RO water .. If you are not already.

I drive across town and fill up a bunch of 5 gallon water jugs from my parents house who have regular water. It works but its a pain. Luckily im highly planted and low stocked on my tanks and i dont have to do it too often. I was just curious if i am wasting my time transporting water back to the house.

Back
Top Bottom