well water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

farmgirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
OK, here goes....
I am new here, and I did some searching, but couldn't find this particular subject matter on this sight. I just did a pwc on my 90 gal tank, and then tested the water about an hour later, and my nitrates were about 40 and there was a trace of amonia. So, I tested my tap water, which of course showed both. This isn't typical, as I test our tap frequently. We just had a lot of snow and ice last week, and I figure all the nitrogen from the snow is causing this. My question is, should I do another pwc with distilled from wally world, and if I do, do I need to add anything with it. Or will it stabalize in a few days. Also, I have never used water conditioners since I don''t deal with city water. Is this a bad or good idea?? I live in the country, and the nearest lfs is an hour away, so I have te be at walmarts mercy in an emergency.

Distilled water is going to lack the natural minerals found in tap water. Drinking water might have some minerals in it. Perhaps mixing tap and drinking would be okay.

Wow. Is your Farmgirl nickname accurate? If so, I suspect you have fertilizer run-off in your well water supply. I presume a recent big rain storm or snowfall and melt could effect this too. Previous to your post, I had only heard of the ammonia test being positive in municipal supplies that add chloramine. I always wondered if fertilizer use could cause ammonia and nitrate to get into the tap water in well water areas.

As for the nitrates, while your tap water has 40 ppm, you can not dilute your tank below this level. The good news, most community fish can handle that level. For the ammonia, and I would presume it is ammonia and not chloramine since you have well water, your tank's biofilter should rapidly convert it into nitrate. If it is just a trace level of ammonia in the tap, it probably won't be enough to hurt your fish. What ammonia you do add gets diluted by the tank water, then metabolized. I bet if you check in 12 or 24 hours it is gone. But if you are worried about the fish and the ammonia, do smaller water changes to lower the ammonia dose that gets into your tank?

In the short term, using distilled or store bought spring water will also be OK, if expensive. Long term use of distilled water can deplete the tank of micronutrients and elements that are needed by all the organisms. I have no idea how long the ammonia and nitrate will be in your well water, but you seem to think this is a transient thing?

yes, I'm a farmgirl, tee-hee. As for fert's runoff, We fert in the spring, so that's probably not likely this time of year, but definately something to consider in a few months, hadn't thought of that one yet!! THANKS!! I think the nitrates were high because of a recent snow/ice melt off, (major nitrogen in that!!) They have dropped to about 10 ppm. As for the the amonia test, well, that's what I get for using test strips from wallyworld. I got to testing everything I could get my hand's on, including deionized/demineralized h2o from the lab I work in, and guess what?? Everything tested pos for amonia. Yes, I have a AP master test kit on it's way. I can't even try new strips because they are still stocking the same lot #. Anyways, thanks so much for your input. What do you think about not using water conditioners in my situ?? I value all the opinions I get on here. By the way, I see your in Ill. You on a farm, too??

Is it unreasonable to assume that nitrifying bacteria exists in the ground?
Anhydrous Ammonia is often used in the farming industry for it's nitrogen content. As to what time of year you fertilize, think about how deep your well is and how big of an are the aquifer is effected by. It's possible that you could see the results of ferts. that were used some time ago.

Tom is one of those "Up North City Dwellers" :lol:

Absolutely not!!!!!!!! Great point of view!! I'm starting to wonder if well water could actually be healthier to the fish in my tanks?! I know we have seen fish killed off in our ponds due to runoff though, if there is a heavy rain after fertlzng. That's pretty much common sense though. Although I do have to say my fish in the country seem to be healthier and more active than the ones I had when I lived in the city some years ago!! We do yearly spc, coli, etc tests on the well, and it's been healthy so far. It's probably one of those paradox's that doesn't have a staight answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) I am now in the habit of testing the tap before any water changes, anymore, do to such fluctuating conditions. I seem to learn somrhting new evertime I log on to AA!!

I know that our water on base has high nitrate lvls because of Simplot a Huge Cow/fertilizer Company that is nearby added with the fertilizer that the base uses for maintenance of the grounds. I would think that would have an effect on the water. I'm working with plants to help with my nitrate problem.

Yes, the fertilizers can take a while to filter down into the aquifier level that provides your tap water. And yes, a big rain or snowmelt can accelerate this. Last springs fertilizers, and maybe the year before that could still be in transit? And yes, nitrifying bacteria do live in the soil, but since they are aerobic, I suspect only in the upper layers. Thus, a big rain or snowmelt could wisk the ammonia by the nitrifying bacteria in the upper layers faster than they can convert it all into nitrate? Then another big rain or snowmelt finishes the job of getting the ammonia and nitrate into the well water? I am no expert on this, but I think it is plausible.

Oh, and you just can not rely on those test strips. Notorious for being inaccurate and misleading.

thanks for explaning all the technical stuff, I knew some, but now I think I understand a little more clearly. ;)

I also am a farm girl with well water for my tanks. The only issue I've had to deal with thus far (in my first year of fishkeeping) is having my phosphate level rise at various times. Sometimes the water is just fine and sometimes it is off the charts with phosphate. I have never had an ammonia problem but some of the explanations above could be accurate.

ok, theres a curve ball for me. Have to admit, :( that's one thing I have never tested for.
I went googling and educated myself on it, and it doesn't seem as complicated as it sounded at first. Thanks for the info. :)

Phosphates are part of the fertilizer run off, I believe, but can also be rather high in municipal supplies too. Phosphates and nitrogen are Responsible for algae blooms that can deplete the water of oxygen and kill off fish in nature (haven' heard of that happening in an aerated tank!). Google the "Gulf of Mexico dead zone", it will give you shivers as it explains what all the farm, urban, and fertilizer run off down the Big Mississippi has done to the gulf.

http://www.tulane.edu/~bfleury/envirobio/enviroweb/DeadZone.htm

Back
Top Bottom