Well...wish me luck!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newlywed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I exchanged out the tank with the broken brace and got a new one. This one is perfect and we added our first 6 tiger barbs today. They are very curious but don't seem to like the water flow from the filter! They'll probably just hang out on the "quiet" side of town! :)

Anyway, I wanted to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. Wish us luck on our new tank adventure!

A few questions...when should I feed these fish? They came from the lfs today and I'm not sure when they were last fed.

Also, any tips, tricks, advice etc from the pros about cycling my tank with limited casualties?

Thanks!!!!

Jim

Wheee! A new tank *grin*

Ok, coupla important questions. Are you using the filter from the old tank? And does it still have the old media in it? If so, you tank is pretty much cycled already.

If not, or the tank wasn't up n running (I forget), 6 tiger barbs won't have a huge effect on the cycle in a 55g (it is a 55g right?). Flip side is, you don't want to add more fish until you can be sure these are healthy (and QT the new fish as well so THEY don't bring anything into the tank; would suck to just get it cycled and find out you have to medicate, which would likely start the cycle over again).

Basically, keep a close eye on your water parameters. If ammonia or nitrites hit .5 ppm, water change!

The old tank was not up and running yet. The center brace broke when we filled it up. The tank is a 55 gallon and I didn't think the 6 little fish would produce a lot of waste to get the cycle started but I didn't want to invest a lot of money in fish to cycle my tank and I cannot locate any Bio Spira around here.
I'll just keep an eye on the water parameters and go from there. Hopefully I can add some more fish in a few weeks!

Back
Top Bottom