Went to Petco Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
And I bought 5 gold barbs, one Golden Sunset Platy (my brothers request. He named it Maximus :lol:) and a male Halfmoon Double Tail Betta. I bought a 5.5 gal with a sponge filter, 10 lbs of brown gravel, 9 or so bulbs, and 2 plastic plants. (With smooth edges) and a lid. The Platy and Barbs are going in my 25 gal. I'm fish in cycling with the betta. My thought is that since they have such a low bio load, they will be OK. It also has to be better than those cups! He seems really happy! When I was filling up the tank (he was floating to adjust to the temp and PH and stuff, I was adding water) he kept ramming into the cup walls to get into the tank! So far he isn't being aggressive, just spunky and really curious. :)

I will try and take some pictures later of the betta and his tank. With out a heater so far the tank is staying at 78 degrees. I will buy a heater in a couple weeks though, don't worry ;)

The platy and Barbs are also doing good too! I put them in the tank and the went and hid behind a rock :lol: The platy is still pretty scared, but the barbs are slowly coming out and exploring. It's nice to finally have some color in there! All I had before was 2 peppered cory cats and 3 bronze.

I have a quick question about the betta's feeding habbits though. I bought those Hikari Betta pellets that come in the weird dispenser. I put three in and he ate them. I walked back a few mins later and he spat them out one by one. I even put a frozen blood worm in there, and he swam right past it. Is he just to scared to eat, or what?

I'll try and find the camera cord so I can show you the Betta tank :)

He might just be stressed with his new environment. Keep on top of water parameters and temp. Keep the lights off and skip a day of feeding and see if he eats then.

That's what I was thinking.

Does anyone know how long it takes for those bulbs to sprout?

Congrats on the new fish. As previously stated hold off food for a day or two. I've not used that brand of pellet so don't have any experience feeding it. You may have to buy a different brand of food but see what he does in a day or two, offer him only one pellet at a time of you can & then as he starts eating them increase the amount. My Bettas eat New Life Spectrum & Omega One as well as frozen foods. As for the bulbs, can't answer as I've never bought those either. . I buy the plants in the tubes or out of the tanks, some stores don't have the tanks of plants which I prefer. Good luck with him & ask more questions if need be.

And I bought 5 gold barbs, one Golden Sunset Platy (my brothers request. He named it Maximus :lol:) and a male Halfmoon Double Tail Betta. I bought a 5.5 gal with a sponge filter, 10 lbs of brown gravel, 9 or so bulbs, and 2 plastic plants. (With smooth edges) and a lid. The Platy and Barbs are going in my 25 gal. I'm fish in cycling with the betta. My thought is that since they have such a low bio load, they will be OK. It also has to be better than those cups! He seems really happy! When I was filling up the tank (he was floating to adjust to the temp and PH and stuff, I was adding water) he kept ramming into the cup walls to get into the tank! So far he isn't being aggressive, just spunky and really curious. :)

I will try and take some pictures later of the betta and his tank. With out a heater so far the tank is staying at 78 degrees. I will buy a heater in a couple weeks though, don't worry ;)

The platy and Barbs are also doing good too! I put them in the tank and the went and hid behind a rock :lol: The platy is still pretty scared, but the barbs are slowly coming out and exploring. It's nice to finally have some color in there! All I had before was 2 peppered cory cats and 3 bronze.

I have a quick question about the betta's feeding habbits though. I bought those Hikari Betta pellets that come in the weird dispenser. I put three in and he ate them. I walked back a few mins later and he spat them out one by one. I even put a frozen blood worm in there, and he swam right past it. Is he just to scared to eat, or what?'ll try and find the camera cord so I can show you the Betta tank :)

Feed them sparingly, espcecially in a new tank setup... Did you buy the pellets made for Betta's? If not I suggest you get them. It's specially formulated for them and is what they grow up on usually and is what PetCo feeds them as well. I usually feed my betta's every other day, and they get 10-15 pellets when fed. This seems to last them fine and they are kinda fat IMO.... LOL But, who am I to call anyone/thing fat... :popcorn: But as a treat I give mine some bloodworms like once a week... I would send pics but my camera is out on a loan at the moment.
Actually be careful with the betta.. the real stress is going to such a large volume container for him. Betta's are generally kept in small containers from post hatching/separation from the brood. So, if it starts acting stressed.. by swimming at the top/ gasping especially then put him back into the cup...

One way to cycle a bit quicker would be to take some of your gravel from the 25 gallon and mix it w/ the new gravel in the 5.5... if you don't want to mix it then you can simply do a water change (partial one). Vacuum the bottom and try to get some dirty water in it.. drain the 5.5 down and put the water you got from the 25 in and let it settle. Don't let the filter run for a little bit to let the water settle some. Then turn the filter on and you should get cycled a little bit faster. Also, get a cycle booster spiromax or something similar.. that way the bacteria is in the tank and the stuff it needs to make the cycle complete. The biggest issue is to get the bacteria in the tank and having something for the bacteria eat and spread....

Hope this helps you out some... Don't mean to assume you don't know how to cycle a tank but better to be safe than sorry.

later,
Tom

That's what I was thinking.

Does anyone know how long it takes for those bulbs to sprout?

Give them a few weeks.. sometimes they sprout quickly less than a week... But, like I said give them a few weeks. The type of plant they are will play a factor in growth/sprouting too. Amazon swords can sprout pretty quickly around 1-2 weeks if the Temp Stays warm. If the bulbs are one of those variety packs with several types of plants then read the package they came in. There should be basic instructions and what to expect when and how to care for them. There are some very good liquid plant foods for aquarium plants, Once they sprout you may want to feed them to get them growing faster and stronger. But, I usually feed my plants 1/2 of the amount the MFG suggests and only 1 time a week right after I do water change.

Take care of those fish and you will have them around for several years to enjoy them.

Tom

Bettas stomachs are only about the size of their eyes I have found that some brands of pellets are just to big for them to Handel. Tomorrow try breaking on if half and see if he eats that. I also got 5 gold barbs today! Well the dog trainer employee tried to give me yellow rainbows instead but I couldn't take those 15.49$ fish for only 1.39$ each haha

Feed them sparingly, espcecially in a new tank setup... Did you buy the pellets made for Betta's? If not I suggest you get them. It's specially formulated for them and is what they grow up on usually and is what PetCo feeds them as well. I usually feed my betta's every other day, and they get 10-15 pellets when fed. This seems to last them fine and they are kinda fat IMO.... LOL But, who am I to call anyone/thing fat... :popcorn: But as a treat I give mine some bloodworms like once a week... I would send pics but my camera is out on a loan at the moment.
Actually be careful with the betta.. the real stress is going to such a large volume container for him. Betta's are generally kept in small containers from post hatching/separation from the brood. So, if it starts acting stressed.. by swimming at the top/ gasping especially then put him back into the cup...

One way to cycle a bit quicker would be to take some of your gravel from the 25 gallon and mix it w/ the new gravel in the 5.5... if you don't want to mix it then you can simply do a water change (partial one). Vacuum the bottom and try to get some dirty water in it.. drain the 5.5 down and put the water you got from the 25 in and let it settle. Don't let the filter run for a little bit to let the water settle some. Then turn the filter on and you should get cycled a little bit faster. Also, get a cycle booster spiromax or something similar.. that way the bacteria is in the tank and the stuff it needs to make the cycle complete. The biggest issue is to get the bacteria in the tank and having something for the bacteria eat and spread....

Hope this helps you out some... Don't mean to assume you don't know how to cycle a tank but better to be safe than sorry.

later,
Tom

Yes I fishless cycled my 25 gal. Finished in three weeks :)

He isn't gasping at the surface, but he will take a gulp of air. Just normal betta stuff. He will take a gulp of air, then go make sure his tank is the same, rest on a plant leaf, then do it again. He's really funny :lol:

I'll take a handful of gravel and put it in a nylon stocking. It's different. Don't feel like mixing the two :lol:

Give them a few weeks.. sometimes they sprout quickly less than a week... But, like I said give them a few weeks. The type of plant they are will play a factor in growth/sprouting too. Amazon swords can sprout pretty quickly around 1-2 weeks if the Temp Stays warm. If the bulbs are one of those variety packs with several types of plants then read the package they came in. There should be basic instructions and what to expect when and how to care for them. There are some very good liquid plant foods for aquarium plants, Once they sprout you may want to feed them to get them growing faster and stronger. But, I usually feed my plants 1/2 of the amount the MFG suggests and only 1 time a week right after I do water change.

Take care of those fish and you will have them around for several years to enjoy them.

Tom

One says what they are, the other just says "Betta Bulbs. Plants for your Bettas bowl"
Real helpful :facepalm:

I might put the bulbs in my 25 until I get a heater in the 5.5.

I have some dry and liquid ferts. The liquid ferts are Aqeuon, they came with my 25 gal tank kit. I will use those; don't feel very comfortable dosing dry ferts for a 5.5 :lol:

You got ahead of me.. LOL I forgot to even mention the nylons method.. I do it that way most of the time w/ a bit of the older tanks water added for good measure.. But, you are well on it.. So, steady as she goes.

Yes, it's amazing how many people get them just for decor and don't truly enjoy these beautiful fish as they should. Betta's do have personality, some more than others but I haven't seen one yet that I wouldn't take. I sometimes want to RESCUE them as I pass them buy and they look at me like... I haven't been given a lick of attention from the people here.. So sad.

Have a great one!
Tom

One says what they are, the other just says "Betta Bulbs. Plants for your Bettas bowl"
Real helpful :facepalm:

I might put the bulbs in my 25 until I get a heater in the 5.5.

I have some dry and liquid ferts. The liquid ferts are Aqeuon, they came with my 25 gal tank kit. I will use those; don't feel very comfortable dosing dry ferts for a 5.5 :lol:

That sounds like my 25 gallon Aqueon tank I got from PetSmart... about 2 weeks ago. It is in my living room waiting to be used for my 20 gallon occupants. I got 2 Blue gouramis I acutally got a pair when I picked them out (They were supposed to be all males, but I just knew the female WAS a female in the tank. Now fully grown up I was right. They are paired up and as gouramis do, making a big ol' mess. So, the 25 will give them all a bit more room and maybe the pair will take longer to get the tank dirty. Tired of water changes every 5 days... Used to go every 2 weeks, but everything in the tank is at full adult size now and that extra 5 gallons will help... Besides, I need the 20gallon for my sump/fuge I am going to use it for on my new 29 gallon Petsmart Tank I got this week.

Those bulbs could be anything, LOL +1 on putting them in the 25 until you get your heater. If you lived near me, I would give you the submersible heater I have just laying around not being used at all. In fact, If you can wait 2-3 days for it, I could mail it to you 1st Class mail... Cheaper than Priotity and usually gets to you as fast as priority mail for 1/2 price or less..

Regards,
Tom

Haha, yep, I got it at Petsmart. How are you liking the tank? I really like mine. I think it is a great starter tank. Much better than my 2 gallon I started with!
Those gouramis sound like stinkers.

That would be AWESOME if you could send me the heater. As long as it won't boil the fish, I'll take it. I would have a couple ten watt heaters, but those Aqueon mini 10 watts suck. I went through four. At least the are cheap. If you need something for two weeks they are perfect :lol:

Just PM me with your name and address. I will box it up and get it out tomorrow. No, This one actually heats my 5 gallon hex just fine. So it will be good for your 5.5. It's a Tetra heater but hey, Tetra is a good company Aqueon bought them too (Part of Marineland).

Well, I love the size of that 25 but it's strill dry. I am waiting on some supplies I ordered to put in it. Should be here tomorrow no later than wednesday.

Like I said, just PM me w/ your name and address so I can send you the heater.

L8R Gator;
Tom

Thanks Tom :) So far I really like the filter, heater, and lights. Everything is working great. I think you will enjoy it.

I'll PM you in the morning. Thanks!!

Test water in the Betta tank and it's 0/0/0 He's all settled in now. Except that he keeps swimming into the walls..

It's weird having a Betta after having more active fish. I have to keep telling myself he's OK because Bettas don't swim around much like my cory cats or barbs.

Now I need to get a little light for it.

Do your barbs try to play with your hands when you move things in the tank?

They swim all around my hand while im trimming plants then they will ignore the floating plant part until I go to remove them then they try and eat the plant parts I'm removing. They are quickly becoming my favorite little fish

Back
Top Bottom