Wet/Dry converted to sump/refugium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anlnba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello there!
I'm kind of new at this, but I was wondering about converting my current wet/dry setup to a sump/refugium/protein skimmer setup. I've done a bit of research, and it seems the wet/dry is not going to be sufficient enough to have any corals in my tank. I currently have a smaller zoa but its growth rate hasn't been much of anything. I was hoping that I could use what I currently have to get this converted. I do have some extra 10 g tanks as well as one 20g tall tank, but would it be possible to do it with what I've got already? I'll post pics later when I get home to give you a better idea. :)

Thoughts?

:thanks:

Pics would help. When it comes to making your own sump, most like to use long tanks to get more room. Without knowing anything about your setup, can't really speak on most things with this. But if what you aren't able to use what you already have, the 20 gal might be your best bet due to it being larger...though with it being tall...whichever tank is longer and gives you more room to work in all honesty even though more water is always better.

Here's photos of my Niger Trigger and Fu Manchu. Also the wet/dry.

Attachments

• 647.jpg
    647.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 633
  • 625.jpg
    625.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 634.jpg
    634.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 158
Sniperhank said:
That would be ok, but the only way you'll have a fuge in that would be if you put it in the first chamber and had the skimmer in the last chamber.

Agreed. You'll also have to mount some sort of light for the macro algae and still have the water enter that chamber. Could be done though.

Hi Anna! lol

Without getting too crazy I would find a spare 20 long tank or even a 20 regular and make that youre sump. Input on the left through a filter sock and then either into a skimmer section or the water can go through a fuge with macro algae which can help with nitrates. :)

You've seen my setups, it's pretty easy actually. The new 60g sump is just a 14g tank that I will have a filter sock and a skimmer in then the return pump. No fuge on that one. lol But even a bsaic setup I think will serve you better than the wet dry, especially if you want corals at some point.

I definitely have an extra light, would just need to get the clip. Carey - you've seen the 20 g tall tank...not sure that would be very helpful. I'll probably have to end up putting acrylics in it but even so, not sure with it's width and depth that it'll fit much. Isn't the skimmer supposed to go before the fuge? Would it be ok for me to have the fuge first in my current wet/dry?

I'm working with 20 inches of length for the 60g sump. It will be a tight fit but everything should fit in. I'm also not doing acrylic baffles, I'm just going to let it go without separation. BUT I have an ato already so I can maintain the water height, very important when using a skimmer.

I've seen a few people go with the fuge in a different order of placement, not sure how that would work out but it might be ok. :)

I converted a WD to sump by using a stand alone skimmer outside the sump. The Reef Octopus SWC outside sump configuration. My supply pump to the skimmer is in first chamber pumping to skimmer and return is to first chamber via Hot Tub flex pipe. Works fine.

Oh and I do have a small fuge. I placed one baffle to seperate the first chamber from the return pump chamber. The other baffle is permanent one in the WD. The center section between the two serves as my fuge. Not very big though. about 12x11 inces.

I have been doing alot of research on fuges and well these are only worth while if you actually want to keep a critter that needs one then go for it. but a fuge should not be kept as a algae scrubber because it will really just cause high nutrients in the tank and cause other issues. I wanted to keep a fuge for pods but then I was reading and found out this is a terrible Idea. Pods need high nutrient water to flourish and corals like low nutrient water so if you want pods you should create them in an entirely different system. also its just another place that you have to maintain and clean. I use my area of the sump that is meant for a fuge for a settling area. its bare bottom just like my main tank but with low flow this way a majority of my detritus will settle in this area and ill be able to easily siphon it out.

Extremely Informative link will take some reading time however...http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/current-discussion-refugiums-164943.html?highlight=Discussion:

Anyone have a picture of their converted wet/drys setups to a sump/skimmer setup? c That might help the OP wrap her head around what everyone is saying. LOL

Thanks guys

Heh, that was what I was about to ask for. I've been researching a lot on how to convert, but many people don't have pictures or even video to describe what they did. I've looked at a lot of diagrams on how they should be set up, or even an entire different set up with a 20g like you had suggested Carey. I think either way I do it I'm going to have to insert some baffles. I'm so excited to get this done! I've read over and over that the bio-balls create a nitrate haven. lol. I want more zoas! :)

When your tank is ready I'll take you out for the afternoon to my coral/fish spots that I do every month. LOL Zooa's are some of the easiest, hardy cheapest as well as colorful corals you can want. Great beginner coral. :-D

You might want to look at some mushrooms too, another great coral and fast growing and colorful too.

Did you get the link I posted on FB on the skimmer? thats' like the cheapest best skimmer you can get. It also comes in an in sump model if you do go with a tank as a sump.

I actually didn't get that post. :( Mushrooms sound like fun! My water is getting better by the day. I'm wondering if it just hadn't completely cycled? Trites are gone, hardly any phosphates, and trates have started to go down as well. Still going to do a water change tomorrow.

I have been doing alot of research on fuges and well these are only worth while if you actually want to keep a critter that needs one then go for it. but a fuge should not be kept as a algae scrubber because it will really just cause high nutrients in the tank and cause other issues. I wanted to keep a fuge for pods but then I was reading and found out this is a terrible Idea. Pods need high nutrient water to flourish and corals like low nutrient water so if you want pods you should create them in an entirely different system. also its just another place that you have to maintain and clean. I use my area of the sump that is meant for a fuge for a settling area. its bare bottom just like my main tank but with low flow this way a majority of my detritus will settle in this area and ill be able to easily siphon it out.

Extremely Informative link will take some reading time however...Current Discussion: Refugiums - The Reef Tank

Now, I'll admit that I did not read all 15 pages of that thread, but I have to say that I've never seen anyone claim refugiums cause high nutrients. Not once.
I can also say that since I have added mine, my Nitrates and Phosphates have dropped to have what they were (and they were pretty low to begin with) and are both rapidly approaching zero.
I have also seen an explosion of copepods and amphipods both in the fuge and in the DT. More than double in a couple weeks.
Pods don't need high nutrient water, they just need food, be it in the form of phytoplankton, or detritus from fish food and waste. I spent weeks researching the refugium concept and never heard anyone say they cause high nutrients or are no good for pods.

Yea, I thought it was kind of strange about what they were saying about fuges. I've always thought they were only beneficial? I do have pods already on my main rock that I transferred that had coralline and my zoas on it. They've now started to spread quite rapidly over my other rocks, which is awesome! Now if I could just get my trates to go down my water would be perfect!
Carey- I did check out that skimmer. We went to some LFS yesterday and they all wanted upwards of $200 or so for their skimmers in store....and you know our LFS so I'm most likely not going with what they suggest. lol. *sigh* I wish my plants out front would grow some money for me! LOL

I would go with the eshopps, under $150. :) That LFS as you know is relatively clueless.

You know I wouldnt steer you wrong. :) I use the eshopps skimmers myself. If you had the money I would suggest a reef octopus skimmer but I know times are tough. lol

Back
Top Bottom