Weve lost one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is one chemical in some tap water I want to say it is chloramine (someone correct if I am wrong) that can make a false showing of .25 ammonia. It might have been why you got a .25 reading in the beginning but that doesn't harm fish and might have been why you got .25 when you first filled it and now you actually have .25 real ammonia.

With fish in cycling any time I get a .25 I usually do a pwc

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There is one chemical in some tap water I want to say it is chloramine (someone correct if I am wrong) that can make a false showing of .25 ammonia. It might have been why you got a .25 reading in the beginning but that doesn't harm fish and might have been why you got .25 when you first filled it and now you actually have .25 real ammonia.

With fish in cycling any time I get a .25 I usually do a pwc

But when i got a pwc wouldnt there be more chloramine? Im just surprised we havent had ammonia over .25 yet. I know its coming but its been since the 13th of March with no real change...

In Soviet Russia iPhone You!!

But when i got a pwc wouldnt there be more chloramine? Im just surprised we havent had ammonia over .25 yet. I know its coming but its been since the 13th of March with no real change...

This happened during my fish in cycle the after about one month my test for ammonia changed from light green to yellow so I tested for nitrates and there they were. Without seeded media your cycle will do the same.

If you get the balance right during fish in cycling i.e fish added/water volume, I believe that by the time ammonia has begun to build up the bacteria are already starting to work on it and subsequently ammonia is kept so low that the API test just shows the first colour on the scale.

0.25 ppm will not harm the fish especially at that ph level. There are so many reasons fish die. I would always change water as normal during a fish in cycle though on a weekly basis as normal.

This happened during my fish in cycle the after about one month my test for ammonia changed from light green to yellow so I tested for nitrates and there they were. Without seeded media your cycle will do the same.

If you get the balance right during fish in cycling i.e fish added/water volume, I believe that by the time ammonia has begun to build up the bacteria are already starting to work on it and subsequently ammonia is kept so low that the API test just shows the first colour on the scale.

0.25 ppm will not harm the fish especially at that ph level. There are so many reasons fish die. I would always change water as normal during a fish in cycle though on a weekly basis as normal.

Excellent. Weve been doing a water change every week anyways. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom