What am I doing wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I bought 4 German blue rams for my discus tank, and two of then have suddenly died. I acclimated them using a drip system for a little over an hour. I can't think of what happened? Any help on this species?

What are your water parameters?
pH, GH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, temperature? What else is in the tank?

They are very sensitive to water conditions and how much they can very from the stores tank and yours.
If we want to help you all of the tests are needed

GBR's are the one fish I completely gave up on trying to keep. I have been keeping fish on and off for 20 years, having breed everything from discus to killifish but never had luck with these guys living long. There seems to be some very poor stock from over breeding around here.

Rams can be tricky. Finding good stock seems to be the biggest challenge. I was very hesitant to try rams for this reason. I finally gave in when my LFS got some incredible specimens that look like the pictures on the fish food containers. I paid dearly for them though.

Did the rams get too cold during acclimation? To save on the gas bill, I keep my house about 15 degrees colder than the tank the rams are in. Dripping water will lose a lot of heat to the environment in that kind of temperature differential. I wrapped my acclimation bucket in an old T-shirt to insulate it a bit.

Well, I must be doing something right also, because the remaining pair of rams has spawned already. Within 2 days of being in the tank. Is that some sort of record? ha. They're both guarding the eggs. The pH is @ 7, temp is 82, gH is soft, NO2 is 0, ammonia is 0, and apparently I lost my test for NO3. I think it might just be bad stock? I've called the pet store, and I've already gotten credit for the two I lost.

Also in the tank are 8 discus, 20 cardinal tetras, and 7 cories.

I acclimated them in the bag sitting in the tank, so the temp rose to 82, while dripping water from the tank so I guess it was a partial drip system?

Attachments

• DSCN2873.jpg
    DSCN2873.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 73
I think the water conditions are fine, the discus are healthy and vibrant :)

Back
Top Bottom