What am i doing wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bix22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am following instructions on the fishless cycle which I started on 2/27. I added the initial ammonia to increase the level to 4 ppm. After about 10 days it dropped to 1 ppm so I added more ammonia to up it back to 4 ppm. The ammonia is dropping again but there's no sign of any nitrites. Why? The ammonia level is dropping. It's a 20 gal freshwater tank heater up to 86. API tester. Am I just being impatient? I know it takes 4-6 wks for the process but I thought when ammonia breaks down nitrites start to form.

Did you start with any cycled media? Have you tested your nitrates? How does your ph look? Does the nitrite tube turn an odd blue (not the baby/aqua blue on the chart)? Does it turn purple for even a second or does it stay blue the whole time? Some more info will help!

No nitrates ph is 7.8

No seeded media its a brand new tank.

I think it's just too early. It's only been about two weeks since you started and ammonia just started dropping, I'd say to give it more time.

Reactions: jlk
That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure. When do nitrites usually appear?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom