What are some good crabs/shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andyvette

Aquarium Advice Freak
30 Gallon low light (.7w/gallon) planted tank
Sand substrate
HOB filter (not too much current) Aquaclear 60

6 Barbus Pentazona
4 Mollies
3 Cordys
2-3 Ottos (which... 2 or 3 btw?)
2 Dwarf Gouramis

Is there a way I could get a couple or few crabs/shrimp in that tank to add a little extra spice in the sand? Want to make it look a little more oceany, without sacrificing my fish in the process. How many, and what kind would be nice?

Thanks,
Andy

Go to www.liveaquaria.com and check out their freshwater invert section. They give good info and pictures for diferent types of shrimp. Ghost shrimp are the most popular and will add some personality to your tank.

Regarding crabs, there really isn't any that you can add to a fully aquatic environment, that won't end up being a danger to your fish.

Ghost shrimp are sold as "feeder" shrimp for the most part, and for good reason. Nearly a dozen in my 29gal became meals for my Rosey barbs and Bolivian Ram.

I highly recommend Amano Shrimp. They're larger than Ghosts and the 2 I have managed to live with the same Rosey Barbs and Bolivian Ram. They're also known as good algae eaters, but I have yet to see this... perhaps I need more than 2 to create a dent in my algae. This reminds me, maybe I'll pickup 2 more Amanos this weeknd... heh.

I have no personal experience with Aquatic frogs, but they look quite interesting.

Quake2player said:
Ghost shrimp are sold as "feeder" shrimp for the most part, and for good reason. Nearly a dozen in my 29gal became meals for my Rosey barbs and Bolivian Ram.

I highly recommend Amano Shrimp. They're larger than Ghosts and the 2 I have managed to live with the same Rosey Barbs and Bolivian Ram. They're also known as good algae eaters, but I have yet to see this... perhaps I need more than 2 to create a dent in my algae. This reminds me, maybe I'll pickup 2 more Amanos this weeknd... heh.

I have no personal experience with Aquatic frogs, but they look quite interesting.
What about bamboo shrimp?

I am just curious what can live peacefully with those fish. I am looking for about 5-6 of them to wonder the bottom (and will they be ok with ottos and cories?)

I also had 2 bamboo shrimp and I loved them. I think the 1st one was eaten by my Rosey barbs right after molting ditto to what lovemybarbs said... the shrimp are vulnerable after molting. The last bamboo I had died mysteriously.... I kept it in a 3gal Marineland with a Betta who never bothered him.

I wouldn't worry about Cory Cats or Otos.... larger fish like barbs may find bamboo shrimp tastey. Tiger and Rosey barbs grow to about the same size, so I would be skeptical about bamboos with Tiger barbs.

"Singapore flower shrimp" is, as with "(Asian) fan shrimp", "wood shrimp", "banana shrimp", "rock shrimp", "penguin shrimp", etc., a synonym of "bamboo shrimp" - Atyopsis moluccensis and similar SE Asian Atyids.

As regards www.liveaquaria.com, much more diverse and reasonably priced choosings (accompanied by rather more accurate care information) are available through the www.petshrimp.com Store, www.freshwaterinverts.com, www.franksaquarium.com, and the FW Inverts section of www.aquabid.com.

Look through the News and Gallery portions of www.crusta10.de, along with www.wirbellose.de/arten.html to get a sense for what invertebrates interest you.

Pesonally, I find freshwater prawns of the genus Macrobrachium to be incredibly fascinating, but compatibility difficulties could arise with your particular circumstances. Amano shrimp (Caridina japonica) look to be your best bet.

How about this package?
6 Peruvian Freshwater Swimming Crabs
5 Cardina Japonica "Amano Shrimp"
2 "Ontorongo Shrimp" Macrobrachium sp.
10 Corbicula fluminea "Asian Freshwater Clams"

Andyvette said:
How about this package?
6 Peruvian Freshwater Swimming Crabs
5 Cardina Japonica "Amano Shrimp"
2 "Ontorongo Shrimp" Macrobrachium sp.
10 Corbicula fluminea "Asian Freshwater Clams"

The Otorongo shrimp might attempt to consume your fish. Be sure any C. fluminea you obtain receive adequate current and water column-suspended foods. Feel free to propose alternative combinations.

red claw crab great fun to watch I had one in mine but he died for some reason that could of been my fault.

kaz said:
red claw crab great fun to watch I had one in mine but he died for some reason that could of been my fault.

Unfortunately, they are neither true freshwater organisms nor wholly aquatic.

Back
Top Bottom